Forum

A confused student...

Scarlet-Hills

Scarlet-Hills

Messages count : 12
Likes count : 0
Contact in PM
Hi, my name's Rob and I'm a graphic design student in my final year at the University of Lincoln. I'm currently going through the inevitable stages of self-doubt, fear and confusion before embarking on my professional career!

I have always planned to spend at least a few months post-uni playing with my band (who are doing pretty well at the moment) and generally enjoying life a little before plunging myself into a proper career. The problem I have is that I can't decide whether to go for a job within a larger design company or go straight into freelance. Freelance work has always been my ultimate aim, and I hope to one day set up my own studio by linking up with one or two fellow designers. In the meantime however, I can see the benefits of working as a junior designer within a company as I'll receive on the job training, a close level of support and a reliable wage. My current idea is to set myself up with a strong website and business name and work freelance while I persue my endeavours with the band (which only takes up my evenings), then use the resultant work to bulk out my existing university portfolio and look for work within an established design agency. Does this sound sensible? The problem with my current portfolio is that the work it contains is centred around zany university-set graphic design projects and very little work that directly relates to branding etc. The other worry I have is that I consider myself a strong writer and I'm confident in the field of advertising. I've been thinking about copywriting work. Are there designers who also offer a copywriting service?

Sorry about the long-winded nature of this post, but its my first one and I'm eager to explain myself! It seems like you guys have a nice little community here and I look forward to joining it. 🙂

Connecting tech talent

Free-Work THE platform for all IT professionals.

Its contents and its IT job board are 100% free of charge for contractors and freelancers.

Free-workers
Resources
About
Recruiters area
2024 © Free-Work / AGSI SAS
Follow us

FreelanceUK has moved to Free-Work

We would like to welcome you to Free-Work, an international platform dedicated to supporting IT freelancers and contractors with their professional journeys in the tech industry.

FreelanceUK news, guides and resources, including the forum, have now moved to Free-Work, where we will continue to report on everything from tax issues and market demand to freelancing tips and technology trends. You can also search the latest IT contracts and freelance tech job opportunities on our jobs page.

💡 Good to know: Your forum profile remains the same. To login, nothing could be simpler, all you need to do is use your email linked to your FreelanceUK account and your password.

Enjoy your visit!

The Free-Work team

FreelanceUK