Forum

Advice Needed.. How to find the next freelance job after being fired..

Corn-Hulio

Corn-Hulio

Messages count : 1
Likes count : 0
Contact in PM
Hi All,

I was unfortunately fired from my last freelancing job; a middle-senior management position within the building & construction industry.

[LEFT]I'd been freelancing for a year for this client - I had actually built a great reputation after the first project I'd worked on, but the second was a chastening experience. [/LEFT]

In truth, I look back and there are good reasons for my dismissal. It wasn't due to a lack of effort, or even competency. But I'd admit a lack of experience in dealing with situations that I wasn't familiar with - this role had been a substantial change for me (from designer to manager).

Although my confidence is dented, I am determined to bounce back and take another similar managerial position. I won't be repeating the same mistakes and I am very clear now about the requirements of the role.

However, how do I approach my sacking at my next interview? Do I provide full disclosure? Or do I gloss over the circumstances of my leaving ('I came up to a year, wanted to take a break, now ready for my next role').

I am lucky that the Senior Project Manager I'd worked with appreciated the challenging circumstances of the project and offered to provide a reference for me regardless, so I can still provide one from my last client. Should I be concerned that they may check outside of this i.e. approach HR/senior management direct and potentially speak with someone less charitable?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. The immediate feelings of rejection and humiliation have been replaced with anxiety of how to secure my next position.. I'm also concerned about my financial situation.

Grateful to glean any insight from your experiences.

Best,

K

Connecting tech talent

Free-Work THE platform for all IT professionals.

Its contents and its IT job board are 100% free of charge for contractors and freelancers.

Free-workers
Resources
About
Recruiters area
2024 © Free-Work / AGSI SAS
Follow us

FreelanceUK has moved to Free-Work

We would like to welcome you to Free-Work, an international platform dedicated to supporting IT freelancers and contractors with their professional journeys in the tech industry.

FreelanceUK news, guides and resources, including the forum, have now moved to Free-Work, where we will continue to report on everything from tax issues and market demand to freelancing tips and technology trends. You can also search the latest IT contracts and freelance tech job opportunities on our jobs page.

💡 Good to know: Your forum profile remains the same. To login, nothing could be simpler, all you need to do is use your email linked to your FreelanceUK account and your password.

Enjoy your visit!

The Free-Work team

FreelanceUK