Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Advice on Journalism courses needed..

Discussion in 'Journalism Forum' started by geddiejdk, Jan 20, 2011.

1. geddiejdk

geddiejdk New Member

Hi all,

I have an undergraduate degree in English Literature and am trying to get into journalism. I have been offered a place on the PA's NCTJ accredited foundation course but am also considering studying an MA in Newspaper Journalism at City University (sep 2011 intake).

Both have very impressive employment rates but City graduates appear have a higher trajectory of jobs. However, I could do the PA course now and have the qualification (get a job on a regional) in summer, whereas if i study at City I won't be employable until the following summer!

What should i do, I'm desperate because the deadline for paying my deposit for the PA course is Monday (24th Jan)!

I'd really appreciate some advice...

2. Lipton

Lipton New Member

I was in the exact same position as you a few years ago. There isn't a truly 'right' answer - just best guesses. I had a little bit of an easier decision since I had immigrated to the states and thus kinda got forced into a general uni (equivalent of CityU). There were two things that served me well at the time:

1. Understanding that academic education isn't everything. Doing an internship for 3-6 months will land you in a great place and - if there's a delay between graduating and landing a gig - you'll have a perfect opportunity to get some very valuable experience.

2. Creating connections. I spent a good deal of my time attempting to meet and chat with people in my field. There was one pro in particular that I fostered a relationship with, which turned into a very nice recommendation upon graduation. Getting to know professional journalists in your area, whether it is through formal means such as shadowing or in a more relaxed way, is another great way to prep yourself for graduation.

3. Being open to different paths. I took a total of 5 classes online during my post-grad career. Some of the courses can be quite forgiving in an online format and it's a good idea to ask around and see what your options are. Finding out ways to slightly reduce your workload can open up time for things such as internships and inter-field mingling. Directories can help a lot English Schools in Washington State (WA) : Accredited Programs is just one example.

I hope that helps in some way.