Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Advice on story about migrants

Discussion in 'Journalism Forum' started by TomG, Nov 15, 2010.

1. TomG

TomG New Member

Hi,

I am a freelance video journalist shooting a video about the living conditions of Eastern European migrants in houses of multiple occupancy. I am also covering an issue where landlords have been renting out wooden out-houses to migrants.

In both the HMO's and the out-houses landlords are contravening safety and planning rules, this is an important fact that the video partially hangs on.

Whilst researching for this content I am finding it difficult to find migrants who want to be filmed, and because the properties are owned by landlords I think it might be a challenge getting permission to film there in the first place.

Any advice on how I could encourage the migrants to see the benefits of being filmed?

Or does anyone know the law regarding whether or not landlords are allowed to stop me filming there if the migrants give me permission?

Please reply if you can help,

Tom

2. AdamC

AdamC New Member

I'm not sure if you have already completed your filming, but what you could do is blur out the faces of any migrants who agree to interview and if requested distort their voices so that no one can identify them. That lessens the risk of their landlords reporting them to the authorities.

3. SarahSimpsons

SarahSimpsons New Member

Migrants tend to want to avoid getting into trouble with their landlords as housing is always an issue.

However if you make efforts to re-assure them that nothing display can identify them or the property then that should help?

Due to language barriers, you will need to make extra effort in body language and reassure them that way. Use a low, non-aggressive tone etc.