Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Am I missing anything?

Discussion in 'Web Design Forum' started by LitFL Website Designer, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Hey guys just thought I'd get your opinions on this, I am new to the web development game although have been studying and working with websites for a couple of years now.

I was just wondering if anyone had any tips for me, here is my site

LitFL Website Designer

I'd just like to know if I am missing anything in my design or if there are key elements that I have left out?

Also any tips to improve on what I already have would be much appreciated.

Tom

2. Victorious

Victorious New Member

3. What benefit is there to having a W3C validated site? I haven't really payed much attention to this tool before.

Is it to test that your site will work on all browser versions?

There are a few that I can't seem to fix anyway due to the code being generated through the wordpress system.

4. pixeldevils

pixeldevils New Member

If your site isn't to W3C standards, it means a number of things for clients and potential employers:

- You site may not work on all platforms and browsers
    - You don't have the necessary coding skills to make it validate
    - Your site isn't semantic and lacks interoperability
    - You don't understand why the above is important!
    - You may not have considered the WCAG guidelines

I suggest you read around this subject, you will get found out if you don't!

Regarding the design, it looks like a template to me, and lacks originality and creativity.

Here's my freelance site:
    Welcome to Pixel Devils

and here's a far better one than mine:
    Professional Web Design by Orman Clark | Web Design in Berkshire

Sorry to sound a bit harsh, but if you want to compete then you need to really learn some marketable coding, design, accessibility and usability skills.

I'm not seeing much of these from your site as it stands.

There's a wealth of blogs, tutorials and sites out there that can teach you what you need to know - you just need to put the time and effort in!

Try:
    Web Designer Wall - Design Trends and Tutorials
    Smashing Magazine
    Transcending CSS | The Fine Art of Web Design by Andy Clarke
    ACS -Don't Make Me Think

If you get your head around these resources and books for a start, you'll be heading in the right direction! ;)

5. I see what you mean, a lot of the sites that I have used for inspiration have been big web design company websites so I assumed that would be the best way to go.

I know I still have a lot to learn and i appreciate constructive firm advice rather than no advice anyway.

Do sites that have more of a personal creative touch to them do better in this line of work then?

6. Victorious

Victorious New Member

Not at all just because you are not good with graphic design does not mean you can't make an amazing website. And you can trust me that most of freelancers buy the designs on the marketplaces.

Check out this guy he is awesome web designer but not a graphic designer he runs css-tricks.http://chriscoyier.net/

As regards the W3 validation - you need to get it done for the reasons above and just because it makes you look professional.

Check out my website - this is all my work from beginning to end (front end design and coding) bear in mind that the content is old and I am currently redesigning the website.

Creative Design - web design, graphic design, freelance designers in Cheltenham - redesign counter
    Creative Design - web design, graphic design, freelance designers-intermediate version
    Creative Design - web design, graphic design, freelance designers-first ever version.

In between these versions I updated my knowledge A LOT (including getting University degree) what is going to be represented in my newest version.

Along with the coding up to standards comes SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) which is quite big if you want to work in web design. Although you create for your clients you need to optimise the content so it includes keywords that are most likely to position the website during the searches in the first place. Although my websites were valid the content wasn't good enough and they weren't positioned properly.

If you start with web design it means you will have to learn, learn, learn and learn even more... Its just constant. XHTML, CSS, PHP, SQL, CSS frameworks, PHP frameworks, Joomla, Drupal, Wordpress etc.

I personally follow PSDTuts, Nettuts and the rest of Tuts+, CSS tricks etc. it is just awesome what can you learn from those guys.

Last edited: May 16, 2010
  7. Victorious

Victorious New Member

if you want your site to be validated properly code it yourself don't rely on changing the graphics in the ready theme... I personally use this theme to start off the template for wordpress. Starkers: The completely naked theme for WordPress It is stripped of everything pure text and then comes the fun of creating your own design and code.

Last edited: May 16, 2010
  8. I managed to fix it in the end, cheers for all of the advice guys some very good tips.

I know what you mean about the learning, i've been spending loads of time with graphics, xhtml, css and other tutorials and have still only scratched the surface.

I think I may have taken on too much inspiration from the big companies websites and haven't really been investigating the right side of the market.

9. Victorious

Victorious New Member

You should be creative and be able to present it I know its expensive but it is worth to invest in your own copy of Adobe CS5 and if you freelance you can easily go for student version and save yourself a ton of cash.

10. OK guys I have taken on board your suggestions and created a new design, pay little attention to the post page as I am still working on some validation errors and i'm thinking about re-designing it anyway.

as always all comments would be greatly appreciated!

Tom