Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Anyone seen any good films recently?

Discussion in 'Time Out' started by hellosmithy, Mar 15, 2008.

1. hellosmithy

hellosmithy New Member

I was back in London in February and saw a German film called 'Das Leben Der Anderen' (The Lives of Others) – it pretty much blew me away. It's all about East Berlin in the 80's under Stasi control.

I also recently saw 'Control', about Joy Division's Ian Curtis – another gripping and depressing one!

Since then I've been pretty disappointed with the current releases apart from 'No Country for Old Men' and 'There Will Be Blood'. Anyone seen anything worth a look?

2. MickeyFinn

MickeyFinn Administrator

Well done! Completely forgot the Ian Curtis one was out now, will make sure I see that one.

I never have enough time for films though! HMV had DVD box set sale on, bought a Stephen King and Hammer House of Horrors one as used to love all that when I was younger, will probably never watch them though! Just got "Assassination of Jesse James", "I am Legend" and "American Gangster" too so have to find some time for films soon. Actually, off to see family in Cornwall for a week over Easter so might be able to fit a few in then :banana

3. hellosmithy

hellosmithy New Member

Yea it's definitely worth watching, the main guy does a great job of acting it out. Cornwall sounds good, have a great time!

4. the-baron

the-baron New Member

Loads of Good Films

Our charity shop now sells VHS videos at 5 for a pound. I am watching all the good films I was too mean to buy years ago.
    Mind you....I have had a few snide ones.

5. Lupita

Lupita Member

The Last King of Scotland
    Juno
    Blood Diamond
    300 (if you seriosuly like this don't watch the spoof 'Meet the Spartans')
    Coming to America
    Munich
    No country for old men

6. Stardog

Stardog New Member

Edited....

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  7. Lupita

Lupita Member

Oh and after Saturday night's viewing I fully recommend:

The Assasination of Jesse James (by the coward Robert Ford)

I also caught a little of Crimson Rivers (French flick with Jean Reno) which is also worth watching - if you're happy to read subtitles!

8. timhoward

timhoward New Member

Hi,

i watched reservoir doggs for the first time on the weekend (i know iam a bit late with the times). probably one of my favourite films now! quiten taritino is a great at what he does!

9. ZeitGhost

ZeitGhost New Member

I watched "Impostor" over the weekend, yet another film of a Phillip K. Dick short story...

Despite having read the story & having figured out the twist in the end, it was rather enjoyable.

I have another that I shall watch sometime soon, which is "Paycheck", again from a Phillip K. Dick short story.

I think that "Total Recall" has a nice selection of reality shifts too...

And, since it's got Arnie, it's suitably violent. :D

10. ZeitGhost

ZeitGhost New Member

I'm gradually working up to watching "Timeline" (which has Billy Connolly as a Professor of History!)...

The audio book is quite good, but I'm not convinced (from the reviews) that the film matches it...

I also watched "Dr Strangelove"... I love the scene near the end where Sellers is doing his Strangelove impression... rib ticklingly funny...

"Yes, Mein Fuhrer, er, sorry, Yes, Mr President"...

11. MrRobin

MrRobin New Member

I'm a big PKD fan... haven't heard of these movies though, I will have to check them out.

There are so many movies made of his books now, has to be up there with King, Austen, Shakespere even.

My favorite short story is "The Electric Ant" where a guy finds out he is a robot, not a human and he does all sorts of experiments on himself to warp his reality

12. Lupita

Lupita Member

Back to the topic (sorry not a sci-fi fan):

Rendition (quite good but shame Ms Streep doesn't get her dues)
    The Proposition (one for the boys; ray winstone in the outback fighting outlaws)

And one to avoid - The Walker - The Guardian persuaded me by saying 'Woody H gives the performance of his life'. I'm a big fan of him but even he's not enough to save this plodding whodunnit devoid of any climax! :grin

Happy viewing!

13. visualnerve

visualnerve New Member

Just watched American Gangster last night, brilliant film loved it. Not a plain shootem up, its got a good story behind it. I loved it!

14. ZeitGhost

ZeitGhost New Member

Taxi Driver.

:alien

15. difly69

difly69 New Member

I watched Blades of Glory over the weekend. I found it really funny, although very cheesy!

16. mclwebsolutions

mclwebsolutions New Member

Watched "The Keep" recently - very scary film.

Going to see the new Indiana Jones this Friday... I remember going to see the last one with my Dad 19 years ago... :confused2

17. Spiritinthesky

Spiritinthesky New Member

Yes, Up in 3D it is brilliant!

18. Lupita

Lupita Member

If you like Hostel-type flicks; you should like:
    Martyrs
    Mum and Dad
    (Caution: both quite disturbng)

Also half-decent and different, but still prob more for da boys:
    Hush
    Bus 174
    Walking in dead man's shoes

19. DLGimages

DLGimages New Member

if you like OMG! films then Bruno is a must . very close to the knuckle but very funny .

if your into scifi Pandorum is pretty cool evenjust for the special affect

but my award goes to the strangest film ever : Duplicity .. i think i need to watch that one again just to grasp the storey line

20. mike.shine

mike.shine New Member

I watched 2012 in the theater. Its one of the best disaster movie that i have ever seen. The story line is really cool and awesome graphics. :cool2:cool2