Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Anyone use CMS here?

Discussion in 'Web Design Forum' started by cobbieffo, Jan 18, 2011.

1. cobbieffo

cobbieffo Banned

Well I'm sure some of you do use CMS's here, whats the preference, wordpress, drupal, joomla, dnn etc, I know some of them can be a pain to set up and just configuration can take a while to adapt new skins, themes etc, anyone use these?

I've been thinking about learning php more extensively with a view to creating a very simple CMS for clients that only need very limited facilities to add/delete/edit pages, is it worth it? Duno, would like to see what reaction this post gets any other solutions would be interesting to hear about too!

it's good to be back

2. michelledancer

michelledancer New Member

I've used most of the "famous" ones, as a rule for most things I'll either use WordPress or Drupal since between them there's not really anything they can't do.

Learning the basics of PHP is always going to be worth it, even if you end up using a solution that already exists it's nice to know you can edit things and understand how they work.

As far as building a simple CMS goes, a lot of companies do this and use it for all their client sites but tbh I'm not sure it's worth it. If one of the "big three" seems like more than your clients will need, you should look into things like CushyCMS that are much simpler. You can use that one for free, or subscribe and brand it with your own logo etc.

3. AdamC

AdamC New Member

I found WordPress to be the easiest to learn and use, but Drupal isn't bad. I'm trying to learn more about both of them. Have you tried Joomla?

4. AdamC

AdamC New Member

I found WordPress to be the easiest to learn and use, but Drupal isn't bad. I'm trying to learn more about both of them. Have you tried Joomla?

5. 2020Media

2020Media New Member

From your post above, I'd suggest Wordpress to start with. It has the most straightforward construction and you can use the built in page editor to modify the design of the different pages.
    It's also one of the easiest for clients to use. I've found the learning curve for user operations to be easiest with Wordpress, then Joomla, then Drupal as the hardest.

My own view is that Wordpress, Joomla and Drupal serve different needs so you might need to use different CMS's depending on the project.

Hope this helps, good luck with your business.

Rex
    2020Media.com

6. michelledancer

michelledancer New Member

I used Joomla before the other two, hated it (mostly because of the godawful admin) and nowadays struggle to think of a situation where I'd need it.

Each to their own though, I think the consensus is that WP is mint :p

7. kathygreen

kathygreen New Member

I would definitely go with Wordpress to start with as well.

8. mark1976

mark1976 New Member

I have worked with the wordpress, joomla, drupal and Typo3. According to my knowledge wordpress is suitable for starting point. It has lot of features and easy to manage by non programming people

Joomla also very good. but when u need to customize you will have to ask some help from the people who know the joomla.

Drupal is very good for enterprise level content management system

Typo 3 also good one, But there is a steep learning curve for it

9. rickypounting

rickypounting New Member

Yes for sure i am a prime and an active user of CMS based software's such as Wordpress, Joomla and Drupal, but what i personally feel is that the CMS of Wordpress is much better than use of other CMS software's.

10. Web Designer

Web Designer New Member

Wordpress is the best CMS platform. It is easy to use. After Wordpress I prefer Joomla.

11. Danish01

Danish01 New Member

Most of the guys knows WordPress is most easiest CMS....

12. Danish01

Danish01 New Member

Wordpress is the best CMS and also it's very easiest to use and learn......