Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Best FTP site to buy

Discussion in 'Graphic Design Forum' started by Mikeswimming, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Mikeswimming

Mikeswimming New Member

Hi everyone

I was wondering if you could tell me where I can buy an ftp site (good price) - or are there any FREE sites for large file transfers - obviously reliable.

Thanks
    Mike

2. administrator

administrator Administrator Staff Member

What exactly are you trying to achieve? Just uploading files for clients to download?

3. philjohns

philjohns New Member

4. Mikeswimming

Mikeswimming New Member

I need an ftp site to send large files to clients and for them to send files to me. I work as an artworker for design agencies and we have large files that we need to exchange

5. administrator

Does your company not have a website then? If so you may have more than one ftp account available to you as you don't want to give punters access to your site files.

Or sign up for some webspace and use it solely for sending files call it files.mydomain.co.uk or if subdomains are too tricky for you to sort then just register a new one filesmydomain.co.uk and you can then pass the user name and login around as you see fit.

Make sure you choose linux hosting so that Mac files don't get mashed up on Windows servers.

£1.85 a month for 100MB of storage and 1.5GB of transfer - that is the cheapest package:
    https://www.123-reg.co.uk/web-hosting/

I would not bother with free ones, they look bad and are unreliable - compared to the cost of a few quid a month it can save you a lot of time and hassle.

Also you could look at a simple scripted system so clients can only see files they upload and files you upload for people cannot see what other clients you have and what you are doing for them. A bit of cheap web space would be what I would look at.

6. Mikeswimming

Mikeswimming New Member

Thanks a million for all the information - I really appreciate it. My knowledge of this side of things is very very limited. I do have a website - it is Welcome to O Creative . The package from 123.co.uk sounds really good and that is pretty cheap as well. Might give that one a go! Thanks again for all the info

7. administrator

No worries Mike, glad to be of help. Just shout if you need any more help.