Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Business name advice

Discussion in 'Graphic Design Forum' started by mikeyoung, Mar 18, 2008.

1. mikeyoung

mikeyoung New Member

Hi,

I'm just setting up a graphic design business and would like to ask, is it better to sell yourself as an individual, i.e Mike Young Graphic Designer or say M.Y Graphic Design Studio?

Any ideas on this subject would be great.

thank you.

Mike:)

2. flair

flair New Member

I find it people remember words that are not in everyday use ie Flair.

Mike Young Graphic Designer am sorry but I wouldnt not remember that tomorrow, am not saying dont use it just somthing to think about.

Also check available web domain names.

I called my self flair but found www.flair. was taken so had to settle with www.flairdesigns. not a major thing but again somthing to think about, hope this helps.

It took me over 3 weeks to settle with flair!

:rollin

3. playboy_bunnie

playboy_bunnie New Member

Personal preference really

Using your name is an easy option and personal to you, but some might say it is easily forgetable or sounds like a 1-man-band kinda place, on the other hand you can choose some random word that sounds edgy but on the downside has no relevance as to what you do at all.
    They both have positive and negatives, best to think hard about it, as you'll be using it for along time and on all of your stationary etc. It is your identity at the end of the day

Heads or tails :banana

4. Opus

Opus Member

5. echo around town

echo around town New Member

i hate when people have no imagination or guile to think of a alter ego instead they type there name and puttin design after it!:fight

6. mikeyoung

mikeyoung New Member

Hi,

thank's for your comments, really appreciate it, it looks like the personal name route is not so popular...

Cheers

Mike

7. shoaib56

shoaib56 New Member

Leather lingerie

Hey!!!guyz We offer a complete range of Leather garments both of men and women.

8. playboy_bunnie

playboy_bunnie New Member

Looks like spammage to me...

9. Ardesco

Ardesco New Member

I would call your company:

Mike Young Graphics Or Design

Then you can shorten it to MY GOD, and say that that's the usual reaction to your work as in My God that's good.

HTH

:D

10. hellosmithy

hellosmithy New Member

They're too stupid to include a link though!

@Mike,
    I think it's something you just have to think about and decide what you're most comfortable with – at the end of the day it will be you answering the phone/email with your chosen name. Lots of designers go down the personal name route, I think it helps if you have a memorable name. As a 'Ben Smith' it just wasn't an option for me! Another thing to consider is how you plan your business to pan out in the future – if one day you'd like to expand and maybe hire in some other people then again a personal name is not the most flexible solution.

11. mikeyoung

mikeyoung New Member

Hi,

how about just 'God' I think that might be quite memorable...I've got 'God' on the line for you...

Thank's, there seems to be mixed opinions, standing out from the crowd or at least having a memorable name is the way to go...

Cheers

Mike