Forum

Change of approach.

dawnhutchinson

dawnhutchinson

Messages count : 4
Likes count : 0
Contact in PM
Hi all,

I'm looking for a bit of advice on where and how to take my business forward. I'm currently freelancing as a 3D designer/animator and find that the vast majority of my work comes through design and production companies who employ my services to create 3D work for their clients. This works fine most of the time but I would like to move my business more towards dealing directly with the clients who require the 3D work.
As i see it there are 2 main advantages to this...
1. Cutting out the middle-man means that I can keep the cost compettitive for the client while not underpricing my services as there will be no middle-man 'cut' to add into the mix.
2. Working directly with the client will make communication and therfore the entire process more efficient as there will be no chain through which it has to pass.
I also understand that this means i may have to diversify a little to provide a more complete package ie. layout for print, website design, DVD authoring etc.
The main concern i have is finding and advertising to clients. As a freelancer working through design/production companies I can direct all my marketing at this specific sector, however their clients are infinately varied and could be anything from an international car manufacturer to a small business needing a logo.
At present I find most of my work by word-of-mouth or small-scale advertising such as mailshots and email. Obviously this isn't going to be at all viable when the target is pretty much anyone, so i'm really looking for advice on methods of advertising.
I've looked around and the cost of advertising varies tremendously so I don't want to go paying a fortune to advertise in some directory only to find that the free directories get equal response. Also, is it better to go for the 'local' service approach or try to reach further afield? Where/how is best to advertise? Is it better to target a specific industry?

As you can see i'm completely clueless, so if anyone who has had the patience to read through all this has any opinions or ideas then i would be extremely greatful to hear from them.

Thanks,

Connecting tech talent

Free-Work THE platform for all IT professionals.

Its contents and its IT job board are 100% free of charge for contractors and freelancers.

Free-workers
Resources
About
Recruiters area
2024 © Free-Work / AGSI SAS
Follow us

FreelanceUK has moved to Free-Work

We would like to welcome you to Free-Work, an international platform dedicated to supporting IT freelancers and contractors with their professional journeys in the tech industry.

FreelanceUK news, guides and resources, including the forum, have now moved to Free-Work, where we will continue to report on everything from tax issues and market demand to freelancing tips and technology trends. You can also search the latest IT contracts and freelance tech job opportunities on our jobs page.

💡 Good to know: Your forum profile remains the same. To login, nothing could be simpler, all you need to do is use your email linked to your FreelanceUK account and your password.

Enjoy your visit!

The Free-Work team

FreelanceUK