Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Contract

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by elainemoss, Aug 18, 2014.

1. elainemoss

elainemoss New Member

Hi Guys I'm new so be gentle. I sent my client my freelancing contract which he has paid me one month on the terms of the contract but hasn't signed it. Can I assume the contract is binding has by paying me he has agreed to the terms.

Also I now want to get out of the place -long story if I give my one month termination notice does he still have to pay me my one month wage

2. glebe digital

glebe digital Member

Hi Elaine,

AFAIK if it isn't signed, it isn't binding.....which makes giving good advice on your exit strategy a little complicated. If you're convinced that upsetting the applecart will mean not getting paid at all, perhaps work until the next paycheck is made & then be prepared to walk the same day.

which reminds me:

"I see it all perfectly; there are two possible situations - one can either do this or that. My honest opinion and my friendly advice is this: do it or do not do it - you will regret both."
    Soren Kierkegaard

Good luck!

MickeyFinn likes this.
  3. elainemoss

elainemoss New Member

Hi
    Thanks for your reply - I have taken legal advice and shown the contract . My solicitors states it is binding and has such to issue a grievance against breach of contract.

I will see what happens

4. glebe digital

glebe digital Member

Well there you go, that's a surprise!

good luck,

5. elainemoss

elainemoss New Member

well I got paid out on breach of contract - rather than go to court the company has paid me the contract clause for termination

6. threelancer

threelancer Member

How can something be binding if not signed? Is that true?

7. elainemoss

elainemoss New Member

My issue was that they had actually paid me the previous month the terms of the contract hence legally a contract had been agreed and worked to. Verbal contracts exist. I'm not sure if you have ever thought about it but I also joined a union that has a freelancers arm to protect the rights of freelancers they were amazing as well

8. MickeyFinn

MickeyFinn Administrator

What is the union @elainemoss? Personally I would have gone for @glebe digital's strategy too. It may well be enforceable as you have been paid under those terms but the time and wasted energy fighting to get paid would be a drain on energy. So depends how much you were up for I guess...