Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Do I charge for a project which went wrong?

Discussion in 'Business and Contracts' started by carina, Sep 30, 2016.

1. carina

carina New Member

Hey guys new here. I manage a clients website for her and do occasional monthly updates - as in adding content only but didn't initially build the website. She was having several problems with her woocommerce plugin because her site is so outdated. It hasn't been updated in about 2 years and because it was a completely bespoke website all coded by hand I never did the plugin or wordpress updates either. I only added pages for her and did some SEO on it.

So she was having so many woocommerce problems that it was losing her money. She asked me to fix it.. i said she should ask the other web guy who built it and then she said he'd completely disappeared and they couldn't get hold of him anymore. So I asked the plugin support who said to update everything.. which I did but then some of the styling went wrong across certain (woocommerce related) pages. I stupidly didn't back up and she went mental so I spent HOURS probably 1.5 days in total trying to fix it /change things then leading to me acting like her PA trying to track the web designer down who didn't want to know.

So I got in touch on her behalf to her web hosting company who said they would charge £100 to restore it. She sent me an angry email asking who would be covering the cost of this etc and how all of this wasn't her fault and how she's lost lots of money because of me.

I haven't sent my invoice as of yet. Initially I was asked to add 4 pages to the website (where she kept on asking me to change the imagery and copy she'd sent anyway so took way longer than it should have) which would come to £200. Now... I'm not sure what to do about billing for trying to fix that problem with the plugin.. i'm pretty pissed because I had to work late as well to not only focus on fixing it but to do my other work as well so i do want some compensation but know she'll hit the roof if I sent her an invoice for 1.5 days. So I was thinking of adding £50-100? It's not much in comparison but I get where she is coming from. I have since calmly explained to her about all the work I put in to fix it. Even if I hadn't successfully fixed the issues with that plugin i'd still expect compensation for my time... I just don't know what to do.. or am I wrong in even wanting to get paid for that part of the job? Any advice appreciated. I do understand from her angle too though

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  2. Lupita

Lupita Member

3. Dougmorrison

Dougmorrison Member

Hi,

I would check out the link it has some good advice.

Basically if you can say you will do something and it goes wrong because of what you have done I think that you need to fix it without additional charge. Apart from when you have clearly stated to the client the issues that could arise the costs involved.

Maybe in the future you should mention any pitfalls to the clients i.e out of date plugins, custom coding, other peoples work ect..

No one like bigger bills than you where expecting especially if you are a small business and cash flow could be tight as it.