Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Do I still need to be self employed? Please Help!

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by SarahKeen, Aug 13, 2012.

1. SarahKeen

SarahKeen Guest

I have been registered as self employed for the past 3 years, working mainly for one company as a designer. I lost that work at the start of the year and now only do a few days work a month - totalling around £300 pcm.

I am now going back to college to study, and will continue to do this work though probably will only have time to earn around £150-£200 pcm. It hardly seems worth it once I have paid my national insurance which is £65 each payment, and worked out my tax. I am wondering do I still need to be self employed, or can I do a few hours work each month without having to do so?

Any advice would be great, thanks.
    Sarah

2. If you are continuing to work with payment expected, student or no, you still have to declare this as a self-employed person.

Chances are you can 1) apply for small earnings exception certificate from the HMRC for your NI payments, if you believe you will earn under the threshold in that tax year (bear in mind you will have no NI going towards benefits/pension if you do).
    2) Probably won't earn enough to pay much tax anyway, but that would be for the Taxman to decide.

Best to ring Self-Employed Helpline for the most recent information/forms to complete :)

3. Lupita

Lupita Member