Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Sign Up

Double tax agreement as UK citizen residing in Germany

Discussion in 'Accounting and Legal' started by EP73, Jun 14, 2021.

  1. EP73

    EP73 New Member

    Hi there

    I would be grateful if someone could offer some thoughts on this please?

    My daughter (UK citizen) moved to Germany in 2015 and has been working as a freelance tutor since 2016. She lives in Germany the whole year and does not reside in the UK other than to visit family around month a year. She teaches clients in Germany and also UK via skype so she receives income from both countries. She has completed tax returns in Germany since 2016 and paid all of her tax for both her German and her UK income in Germany. She completed the Double Tax Agreement and HMRC responded by asking her to complete Self Assessment Tax returns from 2016 to date. HMRC have also made her pay fines for not submitting the returns.

    If she has completed the Double Tax Agreement, lives in Germany all year round and pays taxes on UK & German income (and French income for that matter!) in Germany, should she be completing a UK self assessment? She has been trying to sort it out with them for over a year now but she thinks she can't seem to make them understand she does not live in the UK or work for a UK company. Her company is based in Germany.

    Just to add - she informed HMRC that she was leaving the UK for work when she closed her UK business in 2015. Initially she moved to Germany for employed work but gave that up and started a new business in Germany in 2016.

    I look forward to hearing from you.
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
  2. Lupita

    Lupita Member

  3. hearpary

    hearpary New Member

    This is an interesting question that requires careful study and expert advice.
  4. mynijah

    mynijah New Member

    UK tax inspectors behave a little incorrectly in this situation. Instead of trying to figure out the circumstances, they demand the payment of taxes.
    I think that your friend should collect all the documents and contact financial consulting. Local specialists could give her clear instructions on how to solve the current problem.
    In my opinion, this is the best way out of this situation. It is unlikely that the tips on the forum will help you. Here, it is necessary to know several states' legislation and generally recognized acts on remuneration.
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2022

Share This Page