Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Dutch freelancer working in UK

Discussion in 'Accounting and Legal' started by Floris Koch, Dec 19, 2019.

1. Floris Koch

Floris Koch New Member

I'm not sure this forum is still active but I'd like some advice on the following:

I'm a Dutch freelancer currently working in the UK since October 2019 for an English client. I will probably stay in the UK until August of 2020, but I'll be going back to the Netherland regularly to visit friends, family and my Dutch clients.

For now, for all intents and purposes I'm still legally in The Netherlands. I'm registered there as a freelancer and I'm also still technically living there. The VAT of invoices to my English clients are shifted to them according to EU regulation. I get paid on my Dutch bank account.

However, I think this strategy can only work for so long. I read that if I work longer than 3 months in the UK I need to start paying VAT to the English tax company instead of in The Netherlands. Also, I heard that my UK companies only want to work with contractors that are registered in the UK.

But since I'm only staying for a short time in the UK (about 6 months more until summer) I'd preferably just use my Dutch company to write invoices etc without setting up all the paper work in the UK and have 2 different companies/accounts for both countries.

What would be the best way to proceed in this situation?

2. Lupita

Lupita Member