Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

English grad wants to be copywriter - how best to proceed?

Discussion in 'Copywriting Forum' started by peanutbutterfly, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Hi everyone

I think I'm going to be a regular on these forums. I wonder if any seasoned copywriters can give me some advice? I graduated in English and Philosophy three and a half years ago. I've recently decided I want to be a copywriter. I'm currently working full time in an admin role which I don't enjoy. Relevant experience I have is my English degree and the fact I write on a voluntary basis for a music website. I'm looking to get paid work for copywriting now though.

I'd like to work either freelance or in-house; I don't mind. How should I proceed? I have no actual copywriting experience. Do I do a course? Approach smaller clients for less pay to build up my portfolio? Get a junior position (though these often ask for prior experience)?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Bye for now :bye

2. Teksthuis

Teksthuis New Member

Hello,

I was once in your position. To be succesful as a freelancer, you need good contacts above all. I asume you do not have any at this point, and would therefore recommend you not to go down that road.

What most copywriters do in my country (Belgium), is start out as a trainee and get as much experience as possible in several of the big advertising agencies. You'll be serving lots of coffee, but it looks good on your resume. This will help you land a real, paid job after a few months. If this in-house job doesn't suffice you, you'll have to make lots of contacts in the (small) world of advertising.

Good luck,

Nicolas

3. Scribbles

Scribbles New Member

Hi peanutbutterfly
    I have asked the forum administrators if I can respond to you in this way and they have said it will be fine. We are always looking for good new writing talent to help us with the varied projects that we take on, so if you would like to gain a little freelance experience then contact me directly on 01707 660 377 or at richard@scribbles-writing-services.co.uk so we can talk about this further.

Richard

4. FreelanceScribbler

FreelanceScribbler New Member

Demand for online content is going through the roof at the moment.

If you can write well, informatively and quickly, you'll be in high demand.
    I'm currently bashing out between 5 and 10 articles per day right now.
    it's pretty crazy :rollin