Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Freelance Broadcast Journo Seeks Advice!

Discussion in 'Journalism Forum' started by redrach, Jan 26, 2008.

1. redrach

redrach New Member

Hi all,

I'm a freelance broadcast journalist based in London - I work as a newsreader and reporter for various radio stations in and around the capital.

I wondered if anybody could offer me some advice with regard to work patterns and pay.

At the moment I do a morning news shift every Sat and Sun and work 3-4 days during the week at various places as well - I love my job but I'm spending a fortune on petrol travelling to different stations and am often exhausted due to working and driving around so much.

Can anyone help? I'm particularly interested in any advice someone might have about work that can be done from home/in London that would be relatively flexible and well-paid.

Rachael Dry
    Freelance Broadcast Journalist

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2009
  2. Drew_44

Drew_44 New Member

Have you contacted Skillset? They might be able to give you advice on that

3. Gillian

Gillian New Member

With regards to working at home; I am aware of journalists who record their work at home and send it to the radio or tv stations they have contract with. This eliminates traveling and other expenses, but you must have the proper equipment to make this possible.

The good thing in all this as a freelancer is that you get to do things at your pace (considering deadlines), with less distraction. So if you are a person like me who work best at nights when it is quiet, then you can do your recordings at nights to meet your deadline, leaving you time in the day to do additional activities.

I am not able to help you with the question about salary, as I don't live in the UK and I'm sure their policies are different from ours in Jamaica.