Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Sign Up

Freelance position with potential full time afterwards, do I need to register as self employed?

Discussion in 'Accounting and Legal' started by Cytrismo, Dec 16, 2016.

  1. Cytrismo

    Cytrismo New Member

    Hi guys and galls,

    I've been job hunting for a while now and I've been offered a freelance gig making 3D game assets for a game demo, after which (once/if they secure funding for the full game) they think they'll have me on full time to work on it.

    They want some work next week and then in January.

    I'm not registered as self-employed but I am registered as unemployed and receive the according financial support. I was advised that I'd have to 'sign-off' from said support for January, but they were not sure about how tax would work and whether I need to register as self-employed or not.

    I know nothing about this stuff so i'm just seeking help. Ideally some kind soul would be able to talk me through everything step by step.

    Btw, I'm in Northern Ireland
  2. Hi,

    If you are completing Freelance work (are not a PAYE employee) you should register as Self Employed (A Sole Trader). You should register with HMRC and complete as Self Assessment for the tax year you worked in (January being 16/17). You will pay tax on your Self Assessment, once you've completed one HMRC should tell you how much you owe in tax.

    Hope this helps!

Share This Page