Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Sign Up

Freelancer with a day job

Discussion in 'Accounting and Legal' started by Clint Steenberg, Jul 1, 2016.

  1. Clint Steenberg

    Clint Steenberg New Member


    I would like to work as freelance Graphic Designer in the evenings.
    I obviously need to invoice my clients.

    To do this I need to register as Sole Trader and HMRC.

    Thing is Sole Trader is stated as self-employed?
    But I am not self employed as I have a day job.
    This is just for extra beer money.

    Are there any other forms or methods of registration I can try?

    Thanks in advance..
  2. Mark Lyons

    Mark Lyons Member

    You can try with Upwork to start your career in freelancing field. There are some other forums from where you can get some useful information. Those are gravity forms and Ninja forms. You should try at least once.
  3. Whitney08

    Whitney08 New Member

    Hi Clint,

    HMRC have some good information about this - it is possible to be both employed (day job) and self-employed (freelancing) at the same time, and registering as a sole trader is arguably the best way to go about it in order to stay above the board for tax purposes (but also to make the most of what you can claim against tax as far as personal allowance). I recently wrote a blog post on this topic, which goes a little more in depth about side businesses, registration, and tax. You can check it out here.

  4. Lupita

    Lupita Member

Share This Page