Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Good email client?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Miss Bee, May 21, 2008.

1. Miss Bee

Miss Bee New Member

Can anyone recommend a good email client?

I'm currently using Outlook and it's playing up on a daily basis. I always use Firefox or Safari over IE so I've no idea why I'm still using this for my email. I'd like to look at alternatives. What do you suggest?

Thank you!

2. Image Resolutions

Image Resolutions New Member

Assuming you're using a mac here. Thunderbird (or sea monkey if you want a combined browser/email client), from the makers of firefox :D It used to be pretty good although I use outlook (as I need it for my pda so it can sync) and haven't really got any issues - note these are the windows versions.

3. Miss Bee

Miss Bee New Member

Thanks for the suggestion - no, I'm on a PC too at the moment (downloaded Safari so that I understand all three of the main browsers). I'll take a look at Thunderbird, thanks - as long as it's easy to snyc with my web host/email server (Dreamhost) :) Cheers!

4. Image Resolutions

Image Resolutions New Member

It might be worth posting the issue with outlook (which version is it) as it may be a simple fix :)

5. Joff

Joff New Member

I've been using Thunderbird for a couple of years now on both PC and Mac without much issue. The only thing that scared me was when I lost all emails up to a certain date about a year ago and since then I make sure I have regular backups made of the mailbox files.

Other than that, it works a treat. Probably worth mentioning that I switched to Thunderbird because I outgrew Outlook Express and I'm not going to buy a copy of Office just to get Outlook (I use OpenOffice for all my Word/Excel/etc needs).

6. reaver

reaver New Member

i was using eudora (Welcome to Eudora®!) but since i done a frsh install i opted to use thunderbird , alongside firefox :D

7. studio51

studio51 New Member

I find webmail is a lot easier.

8. Miss Bee

Miss Bee New Member

Thanks everyone. Will definitely investigate Thunderbird.

I have a webmail account but sync it to an email client on my laptop because the webmail account is a very basic inbox, sent items, trash set-up - no option to create folders. Plus, it doesn't look very nice! And I don't accept that that's a girlie reason! :)

9. Dcmtr

Dcmtr New Member

Please, please give Gmail ago, it's the best thing ever!

The web interface is far superior to any other webmail provider, and more significantly, much better than any email client I have used.

Some reasons:
    - It loads in less than a second

- It's easier on the eye than Outlook

- You can perform Google-style full text searches on your inbox to find whatever email you like in a second. This is much better than subject line-browsing or using the poor quality search function on Outlook.

- If you leave the window open, new mails automatically show up the instant you receive them

- It has a very handy labels feature to easily identify different kinds of mail

- You can use the interface to pick up POP mail from other accounts, and you can also pick up Gmail via a POP server if you want

- It is easy to set up on your phone

- It means you can access your emails from anywhere without any hassle

:banana

Last edited: May 29, 2008