Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Having a part-time job is a good freelancing strategy?

Discussion in 'PR & Marketing Forum' started by smashy2014, Aug 11, 2014.

1. smashy2014

smashy2014 New Member

I worked several years as a freelancer but in recent times I was only able to work 3 days per week that were the days our daughter would be at the nursery, so I only had time to work and not to look for more clients. That started to bring financial problems and I started a full-time job recently, working for a client I had whilst freelancing.

Well, I'm hating it for many reasons (stuck in an office so many hours, office politics, etc) and want so much to go back into freelancing.

I don't have money aside in order to leave this job so I was thinking in getting a part-time job that gives me a steady income per month and start freelancing again on the free time. I'm already in conversations with two potential clients and also want to talk with an agency I was working with as a freelance and see if they want to work with me again. They were happy with my work, so fingers crossed.

Do you think having a part-time job is a good strategy to be able to go back into freelancing, at least while I don't have enough clients to just do freelancing?

2. Juniper

Juniper New Member

I can't say I have done this before, but don't see any reason why you couldn't make it work. If you simply can't stick out the full-time job until you have put enough money aside to go back into just freelancing - then a part-timing and freelancing combo seems like a good compromise!

I would advise though that you are careful with the length of the notice on any part-time role you take. If the clients start rolling in on the freelance side you don't want to be in a position where you have to turn them down because you can't get out of your part-time job, which ultimately you don't want to be doing.

Good luck!

3. Dee Ishani

Dee Ishani New Member

I worked in this way for about 7 years. Having a permanent part time role is great but I do think it only really worked for me because my managers in both the part time roles I had were relatively flexible. I was able to adapt my working hours to the other work I had. So for example - for 4 years I did 22 hours a week working 5 mornings. For my last year with them I did the 22 hours across 3 full days instead.

4. Road2Sale

Road2Sale New Member

Definitely don't overdo it. If you can do it, try to take it slow, take a job, where you have twice as much time as usual to finish it. That way you will be able to see how much more time you need to do all your jobs. I think that's the safest route.