Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

How much am I worth?

Discussion in 'Graphic Design Forum' started by Hoppity, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Hoppity

Hoppity New Member

I produce art prints under the banner of ‘ddx art’ which I sell inexpensively, framed and unframed, both locally and online. A smallish local technology company wants to use one of my designs as the theme of their 2016 brochure, with a view to continuing the relationship in future years with other designs if things work out. Their idea is to make the brochure an object of desire, with one of my designs on the front with minimal branding and a typographically attractive brief explanation on the back – all my designs are based on mathematics and consequently have a back-story.

So there are two elements here. One is contributing the front and back A5 pages, which is really little more than laying out in Illustrator the stuff I’ve already done. In a rush I could probably do it in less than an hour.

Then there is a royalty for the use of the particular pre-existing design they want, printed on (say) 1000 copies.

I have no idea what an appropriate fee might be. On the one hand I’m not a ‘name’ but, on the other hand, they specifically like my work and its _my_ work they want, not the work of some anonymous hired hand. It would be nice to find a sweet spot where I don’t feel insulted and they think that it’s good value for them.

Any observations gratefully received…

Hoppity