Forum

Inheriting work and Intellectual Property Rights

Kate Grieveson

Kate Grieveson

Messages count : 1
Likes count : 0
Contact in PM
Hi, I'm relatively new to freelancing, having worked in-house for a number of years. I have worked on a few projects for new businesses, mostly creating marketing materials and social media posts. A new client of mine has asked me to work on some artwork, the query I have is, they used to use a chap for their design work, from what I can gather she no longer wants to use him. He designed some characters for her business which she wishes to use and a mock up to the artwork proposed. She wants me to now design this item and has asked for 'something similar', she has only provided .png files which has rung alarm bells as to whether she has the IPR on this.
I have broached the subject saying that ideally I'll need vectors and that she should perhaps have a conversation with the previous designer around IPR but I gather she doesn't want to do this atm. I think I'm going to have to ask her to refer to her original contract with the designer to ascertain whether she has the IPR on the works or not before I engage on the project as I don't want to leave myself open to problems later down the line. Has anyone else experienced something similar? I really want the work but need to protect myself from any infringement risk.
Any advice gratefully received. Thanks

Connecting tech talent

Free-Work THE platform for all IT professionals.

Its contents and its IT job board are 100% free of charge for contractors and freelancers.

Free-workers
Resources
About
Recruiters area
2024 © Free-Work / AGSI SAS
Follow us

FreelanceUK has moved to Free-Work

We would like to welcome you to Free-Work, an international platform dedicated to supporting IT freelancers and contractors with their professional journeys in the tech industry.

FreelanceUK news, guides and resources, including the forum, have now moved to Free-Work, where we will continue to report on everything from tax issues and market demand to freelancing tips and technology trends. You can also search the latest IT contracts and freelance tech job opportunities on our jobs page.

💡 Good to know: Your forum profile remains the same. To login, nothing could be simpler, all you need to do is use your email linked to your FreelanceUK account and your password.

Enjoy your visit!

The Free-Work team

FreelanceUK