Forum

Is my tax set up right? freelancer with international clients

SDunn

SDunn

Messages count : 1
Likes count : 0
Contact in PM
Hi,

I’m a freelancer taking on clients in new countries, and I’m looking for any advice on whether I’ve understood my situation correctly and where I could be looking for more information.

I’m a UK citizen, and I was a freelance editor in the UK for three years, before I moved to the Netherlands (before Brexit, with full rights to work and stay here). I’ve got a part time job in the Netherlands, and I still work remotely for a number of UK companies. I’ll also be working for a Swiss company starting soon. The Dutch advice is that this work counts as services supplied outside the EU, and therefore VAT has to be declared in the countries where the work is done, not where I’m based (ie, it has to be declared in Switzerland and in the UK). Does this essentially mean declaring tax as a non-resident in the UK and Switzerland, as well as filing as a resident in the Netherlands? How would I go about this, in the UK and Switzerland? I can find a lot of information about how to declare foreign or worldwide income in the country you're tax resident in, but not how to declare it in the country it's earned in.

Ideally I'd like to work with a financial advisor who could help me file correctly in each country - I'm aware this would most likely be someone based in the Netherlands, so this might not be the right place to look for this, but if there's any advice on how to find an advisor who can take care of these issues, and what sort of questions I should be asking/buzzwords I should be looking for, I'd be very grateful.

Thank you!

Connecting tech talent

Free-Work THE platform for all IT professionals.

Its contents and its IT job board are 100% free of charge for contractors and freelancers.

Free-workers
Resources
About
Recruiters area
2024 © Free-Work / AGSI SAS
Follow us

FreelanceUK has moved to Free-Work

We would like to welcome you to Free-Work, an international platform dedicated to supporting IT freelancers and contractors with their professional journeys in the tech industry.

FreelanceUK news, guides and resources, including the forum, have now moved to Free-Work, where we will continue to report on everything from tax issues and market demand to freelancing tips and technology trends. You can also search the latest IT contracts and freelance tech job opportunities on our jobs page.

💡 Good to know: Your forum profile remains the same. To login, nothing could be simpler, all you need to do is use your email linked to your FreelanceUK account and your password.

Enjoy your visit!

The Free-Work team

FreelanceUK