Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Is this normal for a copywriter?!

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by SelinaG, Jun 20, 2009.

1. SelinaG

SelinaG Guest

Hi there,

I've just started as a freelance copywriter and have been asked by a client to do some work writing copy for their website. However, the client has asked me to do quite a bit more than what I would have thought was expected from a copywriter - come up with marketing ideas, ways of restructuring the website layout, ideas on marketing the site via social networking sites etc. I was just wondering whether it's normal practice for a copywriter to undertake these additional roles over and above pure copywriting?

Any advice would be HUGELY appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Selina

2. sarahsrays

sarahsrays New Member

Hi Selina

I have done those types of things too and I work mainly as a copywriter. It is really consultancy work though so make sure you charge for it accordingly if you do it.

The danger with this type of thing can be that people "pick your brains" in a chat situation and you end up not getting paid for it!

Sarah

3. stellaturner

stellaturner New Member

Hi,

I think its important to discuss everything in detail before taking up any freelance job. Work on what your are getting paid for, if the client wants you to take up some additional work then you better charge for it.