Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

LinkedIn: Anyone found it useful?

Discussion in 'PR & Marketing Forum' started by hellosmithy, Sep 11, 2007.

1. hellosmithy

hellosmithy New Member

I've had a profile on LinkedIn for quite a while, but have never really got massively into it. Since I went freelance though I thought I'd start trying to get my connections on there - I'm just wondering if anyone has found it a really useful tool for getting contracts.

2. Sunflower

Sunflower New Member

Hi there

was introduced to LinkedIn 3 weeks ago - have already been invited to participate in a new and exciting project involving previous work collegeaues which I had lost contact with - I already have 40 connections and recommendations - its a great little networking tool and good to add a link on your website...

3. hellosmithy

hellosmithy New Member

Hi Sunflower,
    It does look really useful for reconnecting with old colleagues you lost contact with, I wondering if many people find it useful for generating new business.

4. Sunflower

Sunflower New Member

Hi there Smithy

Hopefully so - as I am attending a conference at Sheffield Hallam on Saturday with a view to assist in setting up a new web project - money in my pocket and good to meet new people for more work...

5. hellosmithy

hellosmithy New Member

That's great Sunflower, hope it goes well. I guess you'll be boosting your LinkedIn network then :D

6. AlexThompson

AlexThompson New Member

LinkedIn is the professional social networking site which can help us to increase the professional/career/business related network.

7. Web Designer

Web Designer New Member

On LinkedIn you need to connect with people and participates on ongoing discussions. It really helps to get some leads.

8. Road2Sale

Road2Sale New Member

It definitely could be useful...any website you register in ,could be useful to you as long as it covers your interests. You never know where lucks going to come from.

9. SandraGenJobs

SandraGenJobs New Member

I recently created a profile on LinkedIn and I must say, it really took me a loot of time to make it decent looking and I'm not nearly half as done. But it definitely is a great tool for reconnecting with old colleagues or creating new contacts, it's up to you to make the best of it.

10. fad460

fad460 New Member

A very good social media network to rejoin with your old classmates and colleagues.

11. LiberatedLancer

LiberatedLancer New Member

My experience with LinkedIn has been very much "feast or famine." If you occupy a pretty visible/authoritative place in an industry, it's a great platform to reach broad, relevant audiences with your message, and many people will try to engage with you through adds and direct messages. However, if you're a freelancer or a startup, it will often have the utility of a virtual 'resume.' In either case, it's a handy asset to add to your social marketing arsenal, imo.

12. Mark Lyons

Mark Lyons Member

LinkedIn is useful but only if you know how to use it.

There are two basic things you have to do to make LinkedIn useful:

(1) Present well via your LinkedIn Profile.
    (2) Build and engage with your LinkedIn network.