Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Looking for help starting as a freelancer.

Discussion in 'Journalism Forum' started by SportsReporter, Jan 24, 2014.

1. SportsReporter

SportsReporter New Member

Good afternoon guys,

I've come here for a bit of advice because I'm incredibly lost! I've spent the past three months working for a major regional newspaper as a Sports Reporter on a three month contract after being lured away from permanent job I had before, which wasn't where I wanted to be.

In an ideal world I was hoping to stay on at this newspaper past the three month period, but with the structure of the publication being completely revamped by the big boys upstairs I've been left out without a job, it makes it it even worse that I was told if not for the restructure I'd have kept my job.

Anyway slight moan out of the way, I'm only a young journalist and I've never been in a situation where I've been out of work since I graduated from university a while back. I'm desperate to jump straight back into work and freelance work seems like the way to go about it.

Ideally I want to continue as a sports reporter going to live matches on the weekends representing an agency, but I have no idea whatsoever who to contact and who out there hires freelancers, despite briefly meeting a ton of them on my travels with the newspaper.

That being said, I'm more than happy to write features or anything else if need be! Do i need to sign up to certain websites? Do I need contacts? Help?!

2. Lupita

Lupita Member

3. Road2Sale

Road2Sale New Member

Hi, you can take a look at warriors forum some bloggers/journalists are offering their services to the community there. Also, take a look at Elance and Odesk. People per hour is not a bad option as well. Fiverr is another option but if you need the money badly it is not the one for you.
    Good luck!
    Also, keep looking for a regular job - I am sure something will come up

4. Road2Sale

Road2Sale New Member

Hi, you can take a look at warriors forum some bloggers/journalists are offering their services to the community there. Also, take a look at Elance and Odesk. People per hour is not a bad option as well. Fiverr is another option but if you need the money badly it is not the one for you.
    Good luck!
    Also, keep looking for a regular job - I am sure something will come up

5. SandraGenJobs

SandraGenJobs New Member

I don't really know anything about sports journalism at all so I can't really give you any advice on that part. Marketing on the other hand is something I'm familiar with. Once you learn how to do it properly you'll be able to find gigs and even long term jobs. So your job now here is to spread the word, Twitter is a great option here.