Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Mannequin Advice/ Website Photography

Discussion in 'Photography Forum' started by mock-turtle, Feb 12, 2008.

1. mock-turtle

mock-turtle New Member

I've come up against a photography problem that I haven't been able to find any help on whatsoever, and I was hoping maybe you could give me some advice.

I am working with a Northern Irish based fashion firm, photographing their clothes and putting them up on a website which is currently being designed. Well, obviously we can't afford to hire models for every item of clothing so I will be using mannequins for the majority of the clothes. I like how Topshop and New Look photograph their clothes. This is where I am stumped.

Topshop - Womens Clothing - Womens Fashion - Topshop
    www.newlook.co.uk

If you look at these links you'll notice that the images of these the plunging neckline is completely cut out, just leaving the item of clothing filled out the way it should be. Can anyone advise me as to what bust/mannequin I would need to achieve this effect? Could it be some sort of cleverly designed wire frame? Or is it a green screen effect?

:confused:

2. MickeyFinn

MickeyFinn Administrator

Looking at a few of the examples I reckon the mannequin is being chopped out. Looking at some of the tops you can see no back to the item even if there is a lower front if you see what I mean.

An ideal solution could be to get a mannequin and a background with a strong colour. Take the photo then in Photoshop make a clear layer below the image layer so you have a transparent background. On the photo layer click the Select main menu item and choose "Color range" and click the mannequin colour on the photo. It should select just this colour, use the sensitivity slider to get the best selection and the just cut it out. Do the same with the background. It is not the quickest but compared to hand tracing each item and mannequin area it would potentially save a lot of time.

3. andrew748

andrew748 New Member

4. gadgetic

gadgetic New Member

Neck Label Issue

Hi

Thank you for the tips so far. I have been playing with this issue for a few days, and the contrast mannequin idea is great!

But there is still another enigma I cannot figure out. If you look at the Womens, Mens and Teens fashion clothing available to buy online. website then you will see that even when the front neck line is below the back, for example a T-shirt, the photograph is still showing the neck label on the inside of the item of clothing, yet the clothing is still filled out as if on a mannequin.

Any ideas?

Kindly

Gurps

5. reuben_brown

reuben_brown New Member

invisable mannequin shots

Enigma indeed!

I was recently privilaged enough to be shown this technique that produces really superb shots.

You need to take 2 shots, one of the item on the mannequin, then one of the inside of the collar of the same item, usually just held in front of the now "naked" mannequin, then you splice the two photos together in good old Photoshop. It can take a lot of wangling to get them to sit right but with a bit of practise I'm sure you'll get it!

6. Bvrosie

Bvrosie New Member

Whats Best?

Hi
    I have started working for Vanbeurden.co.uk
    Im not taking the photos but im editing them and then uploading them to the site.
    We have a mannequin Pink and white but my boss now whats the images to show no mannequin!!? I have started putting some on the site but i have been photoshopping the mannequin out with is leaving No back.

I think this looks ok but she is unsure.

Please could you tell me what you think which on is best and the quickest to do? Clothing
    As you can see we have been going for that long and any ideas would be great.

Thanks
    Rosie

7. jenny_adams

jenny_adams New Member

It's reasduring to know I'm not the only one with that problem, thought I was going mad!