Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Sign Up

Moving abroad and not sure where I stand regarding tax

Discussion in 'Accounting and Legal' started by JessC, Jun 3, 2020.

  1. JessC

    JessC New Member


    In August 2019 I quit my job and became a freelancer (Graphic Design and Illustration) and it's been going great. In the next couple of months I'm moving to the Netherlands (from England) and I don't know what steps I need to take regarding moving my practice with me. I want to make sure that I do everything legally and I'm worried I'll overlook something that'll end up costing me a fine somewhere down the road.

    I want to keep working with my UK clients and, obviously, market for new ones once I get there, but I'm not sure where I stand regarding tax. I've tried to research online and I think I'm liable to pay tax in both the UK and to the Dutch government?

    Lastly, is there anything I should know and haven't mentioned about freelancing in foreign countries; is there a way to expand my services to take clients from other countries in Europe under a blanket practice, or would I have to set up routes for business for each country I traded to?

    If anyone has been through something similar, or has advice about where I should start, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance!
    Laura@FreelanceUK likes this.
  2. Laura@FreelanceUK

    Laura@FreelanceUK Administrator Staff Member

  3. bidgetkloke

    bidgetkloke New Member

    First of all, you have to figure out what field you want to work in. Graphic design is an extensive topic. I also started working for myself last year.

Share This Page