Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

My first article - need advice

Discussion in 'Journalism Forum' started by Nelz, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Nelz

Nelz Guest

Hello all,

Am new to the forum and need some advice. I have just had my idea for a two part article accepted by my local weekly newspaper. When pressed on the subject of payment they say they do not and cannot pay any of their contributors. This I do not believe, but as this would be my first piece of writing to be printed (hopefully) would it make sense to do this for free and hope that it will lead to greater things.

Also, if I do it free, I guess I still need to get an agreement from them on copyright, so that they can only use it the once.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. RobertJMac

RobertJMac New Member

I work for a weekly local newspaper and, unfortunately, this I can believe.

But well done on getting the break!

3. Payment, but not in money...

[Post deleted as user no longer freelancing]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  4. afj_uk

afj_uk New Member

The thing to do is to check with a publication to see if they pay, then decide if you wish to write for them.

Many smaller publications do not have a budget for paying contributors. They can barely pay their own staff, sometimes.

Working for free is not good. However, ask them to give you a free copy of the publication.

You can use a copy of the story in your cuttings file.

There are books like The Writers' Handbook, Writers' and Artists' Yearbook, and Writer's Market UK which show you who pays and in some instances what they pay.

5. Greg Bjorg

Greg Bjorg New Member

Your very first article? Congratulations! I was totally unaware of my first article. I considered it really bad. And what I did is I asked for help an article writing service. You can blame me but tell you what. Even though my first article wasn't fully mine it helped me to improve my writing skills. A good example really helped me.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2019