Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Need some advice!

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by rsefitpro2008, Oct 14, 2008.

1. rsefitpro2008

rsefitpro2008 New Member

Hello

I am setting up as a freelance photographer, and i was really after some advice.

I have a website and am creating a portfolio of different things.

My question is how can i make money from freelance photography?

Whats the best way to promote the business?

You see I like taking sports photos but I also take other types of photo etc,

Heres my website below its in its very early stages but i could really do with an opinion of my site, and a critique of it i would rather you were honest with your thoughts on my site, so if its bad then say it, im a big boy think ill be able to take it somehow

Also how could i improve my site just any thoughts you have would be much appreciated

RSE Fine Pics : Home Page

Thanks

2. susanh

susanh New Member

Advice on photography business

Hi there,

The website is pretty basic - but the pictures look really good. I clicked on a couple of galleries and they opened immediately and the colours are great.

Firstly, have you made your name known to newspapers and magazines in your area - and newspapers in areas where the team might come to your area?
    A simple letter to the news editor or pictures editor with a really good sports shot print would suffice - but make sure you mention low or competitive prices. Due to cost-cutting newspapers are using freelancers more and more but only if they are affordable - and you;ll probably have to sign over the copyright so they can make cash from print sales :)
    Then, try PR and marketing businesses/agencies. They are always looking for DEPENDABLE good snappers to cover client events or take pix for their press releases etc.
    Ask if you can call in and show them your portfolio - but for PR, try to get some interesting people shots from events rather than mainly sports. Newspapers detest the 'suit line-up' pix where four guys stand in a line with a cheesy grin holding up their latest award.
    If you can offer imaginative alternatives that would fit the story then an agency might well give you work because their main aim is to get the story and pic published.
    (To give an example, a friend of mine who freelances was asked to take a pic of bigwigs at a sports centre when they got the Investors in People award. Somehow he persuaded them to get into the swmming pool (I still don't know how he did it !) and got a "suit line up" with a difference - they were waist deep in water (in their suits) holding up their award and it was a great colour pic.

Finally, try some big organisations/shops in your area. Often they want pictures for in-house magazines/newsletters/posters.
    And, make contact with some freelance writers. Often, they stand more chance of selling a story if it has a good visual.
    Good luck!
    Susan

3. Sam Cowley

Sam Cowley New Member

The only suggestion I can give with advertising your business would be to stick with it and slowly over time the clients you have used, depending on if you did a good job they will spread the word about you. And after time just slowly use websites to advertise you such as Facebook, Twitter to promote yourself when you feel you have a fan base or people who will follow and stick with you. Hope this helps! :)

4. administrator

administrator Administrator Staff Member

I don't think twitter was in existence when this thread was created :eek2