Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

New to Web Design

Discussion in 'Web Design Forum' started by satman17, Dec 30, 2007.

1. satman17

satman17 New Member

Im in the early stages of learning web design, i have been given a copy of Dreamweaver8 and Fireworks8, are these still in use today or am i well behind? also can anyone give me good web sites where i can learn on line?

2. MickeyFinn

MickeyFinn Administrator

I am still using Dreamweaver 8. Anything before that and the use of font tags over CSS is a backward step but you will be fine getting started using version 8. Not sure about Fireworks as I have always used Photoshop but I am sure you will be fine.

You can't beat the Lynda.com tutorials I reckon, and if you were given the software then spending a few quid on training should not hurt:
    lynda.com Online Training Library: Training

If you use torrents you might be able to find copies of these on torrent sites, not that I, or Freelance UK, would condone doing this...

3. satman17

satman17 New Member

yes

Thankyou for that, i do actually have the Garrick Chow essential training disc i purchased it off ebay. got a bit ahead of myself i think. i am thinking of starting again with the learning process but learning how to use fireworks 1st instead of DW.

4. MickeyFinn

MickeyFinn Administrator

Yeah, good to start with Fireworks and make something from scratch. Best way to learn for sure. Good luck! If you have any problems or questions then feel free to ask :happy

5. philjohns

philjohns New Member

6. MickeyFinn

MickeyFinn Administrator

Well I have DW8 here, opened a new document and at the top of the file it shows:

Code:
    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
    <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
    Call me n00b if you like but that looks like XHTML to me...

And what do you mean "Dreamwevaer [sic] 8 automatically codes in HTML"?

Try looking here:
    Common questions about Dreamweaver 8

Dreamweaver 8 can do whatever you want it to.

Was the "How much do you know about coding websites?" aimed at me? If so I have been making sites since 1999 initially with Frontpage (yeah yeah, funny I know but it was still an experience) and then onto Dreamweaver 2 or 3, can't remember which, then hand coding using Homesite and then back to Dreamweaver again in the last few years when the product improved. So I guess coming up to 9 years experience of site building.

I personally would not bother with validation at the early stages of learning site building, there is so much to understand these days that just getting something out is a great achievement. You can look at being syntactically correct and perfect in every element when you start making more complex sites.

7. Ardesco

Ardesco New Member

oooo pet peeve!!!

I would encourage all newbies to validate from the start. That way you will see what mistakes you are making from early on and get used to doing it properly rather than bodging something together and then spending a couple of days fixing it so that it validates.

Nothing annoys me more than non-compliant sites that don't render properly in my browser of choice.

As for previous guy, nothing wrong with dreamweaver 8, nothing wrong with notepad either. Also you don't have to do xhtml nowadys, html still works fine for basic sites.

8. philjohns

philjohns New Member

Sorry MickeyFinn - I probably came across a bit too harsh...

I wasnt aiming the validation bit towards you, but like Ardesco said - validating from the start shows you any problem and you can learn to do it "propaly" from the start...this is just coming from my first hand experience becuase I am 16 and started coding website 6 months ago...Im now coding by hand using mostly notepad. Just thought Ide express my opinion...

And my bad if Dreamweaver 8 does code in XHTML - I havent used it for a while and always thought it used plain HTML.

9. satman17

satman17 New Member

Validation

So can you validate by using DW8 ?

10. satman17

satman17 New Member

So does DW8 Support XHTML? because i dont want to start learning it if it dosn't?

11. MickeyFinn

MickeyFinn Administrator

Yes, it does do XHTML. Click the link I posted above and read the section "What version of HTML, XHTML and JavaScript does Dreamweaver 8 write?"

12. philjohns

philjohns New Member

I dont think ou can validate using DW8 . . . use the sites I suggested though...

Are you learning to code websites so you can use it in your career by the way?

13. satman17

satman17 New Member

Happy new year everyone. its my new years resolution to study this and then offer a web design service. Mickyfinn you are obviously a web designer yourself what sites have you produced?

14. Dreamweaver offers validation within the program itself. But you are better off to check your coding against the W3C validator, before you make any website 'live'.
    I find no matter how experienced, or whatever method you use, when creating your sites, if you just keep checking the validation, it helps you recognise what will/wont work and what scripts might spoil the validation.
    Its just a case of finding a method that suits the way you work

I found HTML Goodies to be a valuable source when I was learning web design. :)

15. satman17

satman17 New Member

how to get on search engines

:banana So ok i have designed my first web site, and all i need to do now is put it on the web, so how and what is the best way to get it listed on search engines?

16. philjohns

philjohns New Member

I host my site with One.com Web hosting  -  Domain &bull; Hosting &bull; E-mail   they are very good with 1GB of webspace and a domain name for £20 a year.

Once you have uploaded your site via FTP to your web server you then need to use SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) to get your site in the high ranks of google.

Add a meta tag description and of course keywords to all your web pages and then of course, make sure all your pages have a title. - Make sure you submit your site to google, yahoo etc too!

17. satman17

satman17 New Member

prices

So how do u price a web site?

18. philjohns

philjohns New Member

It very much varies on your skill and speed. Along with what elements the client wants an how many pages.

If your unsure try to work out how long a job will take you in hours and then charge yourself £15 an hour if your new to it and will (be honest with yourself) be learning some stuff as you go along and are not super fast. If you can do stuff quick charge a bit more - maybe £20.

Its really entirely up to you - I try to regularly look at my local competitiors to work out how much they charge....

19. satman17

satman17 New Member

firework size

Trying to make pages in fireworks but what is the op size in pixals of the canvas someone said 700 x 400 is this right?

20. Ardesco

Ardesco New Member

Historically 800 * 600 used to be the screen size that people aimed for, but nowdays monitors are much better and most people use a higher resolution.I would personally optimise for a screen size of 1280*768 but i'm sure there will be debate around this number.

Here is a useful link, don't take it as gospel though:

Screen Resolutions and Aspect Ratios Worldwide

It would be useful to know who your target audience is when deciding on the sort of resolutions you are going to support, and also remember that there will be people out there with much higher resolutions (for example I use 1920 * 1200). Optimise for a low resolution but make sure that your site works properly in high resolutions as well.