Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

No degree --> no chance?

Discussion in 'Copywriting Forum' started by Scarlet-Hills, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Scarlet-Hills

Scarlet-Hills New Member

Hi everyone

Ok here's my situation: (I'll do my best to keep everything concise. I also apologise in advance if anything I say sounds obtuse or boastful. This is by no means my intention. I am aware that I am very much a small fish in a large pond, and I'm merely stressing the fact that I feel I have some ability in this field.)

Basically I graduated from university last year with a BA Hons in Graphic Design. During (and before... and after) this course I have been consistently producing written work of a high standard. My dissertation earned me a high first (82) and my tutors were encouraging me to seriously consider a career as a writer. Since leaving uni I have gone on to produce web copy for the university website as well as several other written endeavours. From a career perspective my life has been placed somewhat on hold as I've been doing a number of soul destroying temping jobs in attempt to raise money for a road trip across the USA. I will be returning from this trip in September and I have a number of career options open to me. On the one hand I have always been interested in the idea of pursuing marketing in a 9-5 tie-wearing sort of way. Conversely I also feel I have what it takes to set up a freelance business. I am currently able to offer a graphic design service but I wondered how viable it would be to offer a copywriting service too? I would naturally use books and articles to educate myself in the subject first, but the fact remains that I wouldn't be formally qualified or experienced.

In a very convoluted way I'm asking if it's possible for someone who is a very capable 'general' writer to teach themselves the disciplines required for a career in copywriting.

If you have reached this far then you really are a saint and I'm very appreciative of any advice!

Rob

2. johnthecoach

johnthecoach New Member

Hi Rob,

Saint John here.

Rob, to be blunt you don't need to ask permission to do what you want to do. Of course you can be a CopyWriter. You can be the Pope if you want to. (Ok, maybe not a Pope - not many vacancies.) :)

So go for it Rob...

All the best
    John

3. Scarlet-Hills

Scarlet-Hills New Member

Thank you for a very refreshing attitude! I wish more people felt that way in the present climate. Much appreciated. :)

4. GTFC

GTFC New Member

Hi Rob,

John is absolutely right - just go for it! I started out in life 20 years ago as a graphic designer, then went into account management, then client side marketing, then freelance marketing - and finally ended up as a full time freelance copywriter about three years ago. I support myself totally by doing this and don't have a writing qualification to my name! Or a marketing one for that matter :)

So the answer is yes, it's perfectly possible - and there is no reason not to offer graphic design services as well if you're lucky enough to have skills in both areas. I'm sure many clients would love the idea of being able to keep it 'all under one roof'.

I'm also a travel addict as well as a copywriter, so am very jealous of your road trip! Have a good one - and if you need any more advice when you return please give me a shout - gill at freelance copywriting (all one word) dot biz :)

Cheers,

Gill