Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Occasional freelance on the side

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by marcus, Sep 26, 2011.

1. marcus

marcus New Member

I have a full-time job but occasionally have opportunities for freelance jobs on the side, once or twice a year, never exceeding £10K in total.
    I am unsure about my duties: do I need to register as a freelancer or can I declare this as 'other income'? can I ignore VAT if I'm not VAT registered? Can I do all of this retrospectively after I've done the job?
    Many thanks!

2. mastermind

mastermind New Member

I think you'll be alright going without the VAT since you're not registered, but I don't know what the limit is for registration as a freelance worker (whether it's 10k or more). Will be best if you do it while you're working, rather than after - well, this is at least how I like to do things.

3. If you are working in the UK, HM Revenue and Customs expects you to register as a self-employed person, if you are going to be paid for a job, or are working with the intention of being paid.

You have 3 months in which to register for your NI / Tax, of starting work. It does not go off the amount you make in a year.

4. TimCaprica

TimCaprica New Member

Hello

I'm an accountant ...

1) You do need to tell HMRC you are self employed, which you can do here:
    HM Revenue & Customs: First steps to register as self-employed

This is because you need to pay tax on that £10k. The onus is very much on you to tell them, not for them to work it out for themselves. I think you have realised but for the avoidance of doubt you will also have to complete a tax return (or get an accountant to) by 31 Jan 2012.

2) With VAT you are totally fine. The threshold is turnover of £73,000 and you wouldn't count your pay as an employee in this.

@TimCaprica

5. Lupita

Lupita Member

6. rickypounting

rickypounting New Member

Well i am looking for some free lancing work as well, can you hire me as am in urgent need of money.... One other question i would like to go for and ask is exactly what kind of freelancer work do you offer, and how you go about in making the payments.