Forum

passing on VAT to a client

larchie

larchie

Messages count : 1
Likes count : 0
Contact in PM
Hello guys - I am sure that this has been asked before, and I have read elsewhere some solutions but it all makes little sense to me. If I explain what I am doing, maybe someone can tell me if it's right.

As a designer, I was asked to quote for a job, which included print, which I did. My current turnover is less than 60k, so I am not VAT registered, and even if I were to win this work, I would still be under the threshold.

The question is, as a non VAT registered ltd company - and consequently unable to charge VAT - how do I invoice correctly? I have already given my client the costs, and stressed that the print costs I supplied did not include the VAT.

If the total for the print is 10k, and my costs are 1k, the total bill will need to be 13k (I can't charge VAT on my costs, but the print has VAT attached at 20%).

By rights, the client should be able to claim back the VAT on the print shouldn't they? Or do I just invoice a total amount and they have to accept that they can't claim it back as I am not VAT registered?

Any advice much appreciated - I can't imagine that this is a unique issue, although I guess regular print buyers would be over the 60k fairly easily.

Cheers,

Steve

Connecting tech talent

Free-Work THE platform for all IT professionals.

Its contents and its IT job board are 100% free of charge for contractors and freelancers.

Free-workers
Resources
About
Recruiters area
2024 © Free-Work / AGSI SAS
Follow us

FreelanceUK has moved to Free-Work

We would like to welcome you to Free-Work, an international platform dedicated to supporting IT freelancers and contractors with their professional journeys in the tech industry.

FreelanceUK news, guides and resources, including the forum, have now moved to Free-Work, where we will continue to report on everything from tax issues and market demand to freelancing tips and technology trends. You can also search the latest IT contracts and freelance tech job opportunities on our jobs page.

💡 Good to know: Your forum profile remains the same. To login, nothing could be simpler, all you need to do is use your email linked to your FreelanceUK account and your password.

Enjoy your visit!

The Free-Work team

FreelanceUK