Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

personal promotion

Discussion in 'Graphic Design Forum' started by rachaelbethany, Mar 31, 2010.

1. rachaelbethany

rachaelbethany New Member

Hi there,

I'm in my final year of a graphic design degree, and we have been asked to do a project on personal promotion, and I am finding it hard to think of a good way to sell myself, other than the obvious (pens, pencils and magnets)

I was wondering if anyone had any tips on what would be effective or what they have seen themselves over the years that could inspire me.
    Thank you for your time

Rachael

2. catherinegiaquinto

catherinegiaquinto New Member

Hi Rachael,

When I finished uni (a long time ago! :( )my surname was Birch and I did something based on this... I couldn't send Birch trees to people so I sent a plant with a white ticket stuck in the soil that gave instructions on how to care for me "place in warm, friendly environment... feed daily with new challenges" etc. Sounds a bit cheesy but it seemed to work and got me in front of people.

If you're after inspiration try looking at some of these - they may spark off something:

FFFFOUND!
    Blanka || Home
    FormFiftyFive – Design inspiration from around the world

Good Luck,
    Catherine

3. bbrian

bbrian New Member

Hi Rachel. Building a name for yourself is no small task. I had to do this myself about five years ago and it definitely took awhile to get my wheels of the ground.

One thing you could do is join a business networking club (like a lunch group or something). I also did a ton of charity work in the beginning (for actual charities) and that helped me meet scores of people.

Here's a really helpful presentation that gives you some easy ways to promote yourself, so that might be worth checking out.

Best of luck!

4. c69

c69 New Member

make a portfolio

Portfolio. Good portfolio - sells its author.

5. workinprogress

workinprogress New Member

Hi

I wouldn't spend much money/time on gimmicks this is what a lot of people fresh out of Uni do, (I did trading cards of my product designs, I even got them sealed into plastic packets!) Consultancies have seen a lot of these before so it is very hard to stand out. What clients are interested in is your potential as commercial designer.

I just sorted out a website, got every free on-line portfolio and tried to get into books and magazines which seems to have worked.

Best of luck, Rich