Forum

Proofreading exercise: possessive plural

Mr Benn

Mr Benn

Messages count : 2
Likes count : 0
Contact in PM
Hi, I am doing a 'proofreading' certification, and one of the practise exercises is causing me to pause for thought. I figure that folk here will know the answer to this question.

Consider the following two passages: "Our freelancer is working on the last sixty folios of a complex legal typescript which has demanded absolute concentration of the very difficult readings structure.";

"The author will have been given the detailed style guide before beginning work, and will have had discussions about how his book is going to fit into the series pattern."

Should there be an apostrophe before the 's' in "readings structure", to indicate that the structure belongs to the difficult reading? Is there any logic which could justify the omission of which? Furthermore, would it be seen to be over-intervening, for this to be added.

On a similar note: should "series pattern" have an apostrophe aftrer "series"?

Any tips much-welcomed!

Connecting tech talent

Free-Work THE platform for all IT professionals.

Its contents and its IT job board are 100% free of charge for contractors and freelancers.

Free-workers
Resources
About
Recruiters area
2024 © Free-Work / AGSI SAS
Follow us

FreelanceUK has moved to Free-Work

We would like to welcome you to Free-Work, an international platform dedicated to supporting IT freelancers and contractors with their professional journeys in the tech industry.

FreelanceUK news, guides and resources, including the forum, have now moved to Free-Work, where we will continue to report on everything from tax issues and market demand to freelancing tips and technology trends. You can also search the latest IT contracts and freelance tech job opportunities on our jobs page.

💡 Good to know: Your forum profile remains the same. To login, nothing could be simpler, all you need to do is use your email linked to your FreelanceUK account and your password.

Enjoy your visit!

The Free-Work team

FreelanceUK