Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Questions before starting-up

Discussion in 'PR & Marketing Forum' started by micu, Jul 9, 2009.

1. micu

micu New Member

Hello everyone. I'm thinking about freelancing being unable to find a job yet. So my main question would be how can you be a legal freelancer in UK? Do you pay taxes, or are you suppose to? I wouldn't want to be illegal.

Thank you

2. Duchess of Grange

Duchess of Grange New Member

Hi Micu,

Before I make any comment can I first say that this is my opinion and in no way legal advice.
    In the UK the amount of tax you pay depends upon the amount you earn, as a freelancer this can obviously vary. Below you will find a link to business link's start up guide which gives advice on how to go about setting up legally as a freelancer or sole trader.
    Also to give you an idea of the tax bands in the uk below is a link to HMRC.

Hope this helps.

Business Link start up guide
    Income Tax Bands

3. Vero

Vero New Member

Hi Micu,

Based on my experience (as a freelancer first and now as director of a small limited company), the best way to start is to register yourself as a sole trader. This allows you to take on clients on a project basis, and while your income is below the threshold, you do not need to register for VAT.

It's a surprisingly simple process, and the accounting/administration side of things isn't too painful either. I'd recommend getting an accountant to review your finances at the end of the year and double-check how much National Insurance, tax, etc you owe (I can recommend a great one near Cambridge, just PM me)

Aside from that, remember that HMRC is there to help. I was worried they'd be nasty when I called early on with very basic questions, but they were superbly helpful (most of them anyway...)

Beyond that, just be brave! Self-employment is challenging but it's great fun.

V

4. c69

c69 New Member

Earn something first, and then start thinking about legal stuuf ;)

5. Alex21

Alex21 Banned

Finding the work

Advertising removed

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2010
  6. Mission0ps

Mission0ps New Member

LOL yep free lancing is legal...

Hi really depends on what you skill is and what "freelance market" you want to head into. PM me to go deeper ;)

7. hubert

hubert Banned

Friend initially you don't need to worry about this thing. When you will start making huge money, then you have to take care of this problem.

8. rickypounting

rickypounting New Member

Well what i would be suggesting is to refer to website like O Desk, Freelancer, eLancer in order to find work related to free lancing and stuff.