Forum

Registering needed for a one-time freelance work

zsero

zsero

Messages count : 2
Likes count : 0
Contact in PM
I would like to ask your advice what would be the best decision in my case.

I started working on a one-time freelance work (animation) in the summer for a client. I have completed most of it but I still need to do some correction before they can send me the full payment. So far I have received 2/3 of the payment with the last 1/3 being sent when I complete the corrections and thus finish the project.

I am a student at the moment it it doesn't seem probable that I will be doing any other jobs till next summer. This is the only job I have done so far and it is not likely that I will have more than one or two smaller one-off jobs a year before I graduate. The total amount of this job is about 3000 pounds.

What I would like to ask:
1. Whether to register or not to register as a sole trader?
- if I understand well, if I register as a sole trader, I have to start by filling out forms that my income is not going to be more than 7500 pounds, an also for the Class 2 NI that my income is not going to be more than 5500 pounds.
- also, if I register now, I will be fined 100 pounds+ for not registering within 3 months of my first payment. I couldn't register earlier as I have just received my NI number last week (I am an EU national).
- on the other hand, I called the small business helpline and they said that if I register as soon as I received my NI number than they understand it and won't fine me, because it was not possible to register earlier.

2. My other alternative is not to be a sole trader, but just to tell HMRC on my tax forms that I had other income. Before I visited this forum I didn't think about it as a possibility.
- Do you think it's the best way in my case? I won't be doing any freelancing work as a business before I graduate, I am talking about 1 or 2 jobs per year in a total of max. 5000 pounds. Do you think I am safe in the non-registered category until I start working "seriously" after I graduate?

Connecting tech talent

Free-Work THE platform for all IT professionals.

Its contents and its IT job board are 100% free of charge for contractors and freelancers.

Free-workers
Resources
About
Recruiters area
2024 © Free-Work / AGSI SAS
Follow us

FreelanceUK has moved to Free-Work

We would like to welcome you to Free-Work, an international platform dedicated to supporting IT freelancers and contractors with their professional journeys in the tech industry.

FreelanceUK news, guides and resources, including the forum, have now moved to Free-Work, where we will continue to report on everything from tax issues and market demand to freelancing tips and technology trends. You can also search the latest IT contracts and freelance tech job opportunities on our jobs page.

💡 Good to know: Your forum profile remains the same. To login, nothing could be simpler, all you need to do is use your email linked to your FreelanceUK account and your password.

Enjoy your visit!

The Free-Work team

FreelanceUK