Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

remove background from logo problems

Discussion in 'Graphic Design Forum' started by mikeyoung, Feb 27, 2008.

1. mikeyoung

mikeyoung New Member

Hi,

can you help? I'm producing a piece of artwork in Quark and I need to import a logo without a background. I need to remove the existing background from the logo in photoshop which fine, I can do that, but then how do I save the file so that it doesn't revert to a white background?

I think this is quite a common problem but couldn't find any answers online.

Cheers

Mike:confused:

2. MickeyFinn

MickeyFinn Administrator

Hi Mike,

I don't do desktop publishing but if it is the same as other progs then you will need to export the file from photoshop as a format that allows transparency. Remove the background as you need then choose "Save for web" from the File menu and choose either gif of png as the file format. Make sure the "Transparency" check box is ticked.

PNG files support alpha transparency but not sure if Quark will allow importing of these files. If the file will be going on a coloured background and you save as a gif then make sure the matt colour is set to the same background, if the file is going on top of a background of varying colours then go for the png-24.

Let us know how you get on.

Mickey

3. mikeyoung

mikeyoung New Member

Hi,

sorry, tried all your suggestions with no luck I'm afraid...thank you anyway...

It's a tricky little thing.

Cheers

Mike

4. MickeyFinn

MickeyFinn Administrator

Quark Transparency

OK - did a quick Google:
    Quark :: View topic - How do I import TIFF images without a background color?

First you must be using v7 or higher than QWuark for transparency to be available to you, otherwise you need to set a clipping path in Photoshop and use this in Quark. If you are using v7 or above then eps sounds like it might be the best option. Check the link above for more details.

5. mikeyoung

mikeyoung New Member

Hi Mickey,

thank's for your help. Unfortunately I don't have Quark 7 so had to opt for clipping path method in Photoshop, but works fine.

Thank's.

Mike

6. robcub

robcub New Member

Trace around the logo in Photoshop with the pen tool and save the path as a Clipping Path and save as an EPS then import into Quark. Quark 7 will import PSDs and TIFs with transparent backgrounds as far as I know.

7. midvale99

midvale99 New Member

Or have you tried PNG format?

8. MickeyFinn

MickeyFinn Administrator

Already suggested in post #2. Cannot import PNG files to Quark by looks of it. Correct answer has been suggested from a couple of sources, Photoshop file with clipping path :happy

9. MyPrintUK.com

MyPrintUK.com New Member

Hi Mike,

I'm not sure if you have resolved this or not but here's how i do it.

Photoshop:

Select the area you want to take into quark. (i hold down apple key and click the layer which selects all the layer)

Go to the paths tab, click on the arrow in the top right corner and select "make work path" A tolerance menu will appear i always set the tolerance to 1.0

You will now see a work path in your paths tab. Double click this, save path will appear just click ok.

Your path has now changed from a work path to path1.

Now click on the arrow in the top in the top right corner again, and select clipping path then click ok.

This is for photoshop. Save the file in any format thats compatible with quark.

Quark.

Place your logo into quark as normal. If your logo still has the background attached, select it and go to item, modify. Select the clipping tab and where it says type ensure that embedded path is selected.

Thats it

Any problems let me know.

Regards

Lee

MyPrintUK.com - Online Printing - for Flyers, Leaflets, Posters, Postcards & more