Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Routes in to the industry

Discussion in 'Copywriting Forum' started by Jim, May 30, 2007.

1. Jim

Jim New Member

I have just read that there are many routes in to the industry yet the article does not mention even one.
    Anybody there with any ideas on how to get started in freelance copywriting?

2. keggs

keggs New Member

routes

Hi Jim

Just joined. One way which I've used to get into copywriting is to contact small businesses and ask them if they need any leaflets producing. I charge around £40. If you can design the leaflet as well that's an added bonus.

Hope this helps

Steve

3. mikehadley

mikehadley New Member

routes in?

Is that £40 an hour? Don't sell your skills short.

4. ali g

ali g New Member

Copywriting fees

You mention about charging £40 an hour - is that a standard rate? I am quite new to copywriting and am working for one client at a fixed fee. If I were to charge by the hour I wouldn't have a clue what to charge and I wouldn't want to price myself out of a potential job! Any advice?

5. angelalast

angelalast New Member

Going rate..

The going rate on the South Coast varies from £30-£40 an hour BUT do bare in mind that it all depends on the type of job and creative proposition.

Some charge a fixed rate per job and some charge a fixed price per page.

It all depends on how flexible you want to be and how badly you want the job.

Word of advice though - don't short-sell yourself as this will start a price war in the industry and it may influence the freelance market.

At the end of the day we all want to make an honest living out of copywriting, so keep the rates fair and we will all be one happy community. :p

6. thecaz

thecaz New Member

It seems that you need to take opportunities where you can get them, especially when you're starting out. However, I do have one concern, which hopefully somebody more experienced can answer. How does a writer avoid getting ripped off? I'm guessing that the problem, in this area, lies in the fact that someone could, potentially, take your work and not pay you. Are there any other risks, and how do we avoid them? Thanks!

7. colmodwyer

colmodwyer New Member

Try signing up with > elance.com or guru.com < as I understand it, the quality of client is less than favourable (people looking for cheap labour), but if you need the experience...

...Beggars, choosers and all that.

Colm

8. Audiman

Audiman New Member

Try working for free. It's all about building a portfolio. It's a ruthlessly meritocratic industry. If your portfolio is good enough, you'll get work. If you do that well, you'll get more work. If you don't have the skills yet, try studying the work of other writers online or reading books. Then practise.

Mightier Than - Freelance Copywriting That Means Business -

Last edited: Sep 21, 2007
  9. WriteResults

WriteResults New Member

I used guru to build up a portfolio. As your ratings rise, you can charge more, but as Colm says, the pay to begin with can be pretty low, and sometimes you have to add up the ratings value v $

If you have a website, you could also try posting on forums such as Digital Point and Warrior with a link to your site. I pick up quite a lot of work from Digital Point. I tend not to get into going for the jobs advertised on there, as most are pretty low payers, but lots of work comes to me, simply by putting decent posts onto the site.

Good Luck

Christine