Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Start Again: Step to work as a freelancer

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Arielis, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Arielis

Arielis Guest

Hi,

I would like to know what are the steps to work as a freelancer as a second job during the evening and week end to start with.

1. What's happen if I don't make any money the first year? You I tell that to someone legally?
    2. Considering that I have a project next week, what I am suppose to do: Give a quote, add VAT ?....
    3. Do I need a insurance?
    4. Considering that I want to start next week?, Is the registration with HRMC is the first step to do. Once that the registration is done, could I start to work?
    5. In average, how much should I spend to start a business(without a website, business card). Is it possible to not spend a penny?

Best Regards,

2. administrator

administrator Administrator Staff Member

If you don't make any money then no, you don't need to tell anyone.

If you have a project next week then isn't question 1 null and void? Or are you doing it for free? You must give a quote before starting, or agree an hourly rate or terms of engagement. Otherwise you are very likely to get disagreements later on and these sap time and energy so avoid at all costs! Make sure you are clear about what work you will do and what it will cost and at the very least get an email back confirming that the client agrees. You only add VAT if you are VAT registered, you only need to be VAT registered if you are turning over something like £77,000 per year so make sure you don't add VAT. It is very easy to register for VAT but when you are you will need to submit quarterly returns so if you are just starting then don't burden yourself with it unless you have a lot of equipment to buy and it would be sensible to claw the VAT back on it.

Not unless you are asked for it! In some circumstances it is essential like if you are working on a system that you could break etc then for your own peace of mind it is worth considering.

Read these articles and come back if you have any questions!
    Starting Out, how to work your way up the freelance ladder :: Freelance UK

Yes! Don't spend anything that is not essential in the early days. I had 500 business cards printed when I started - I still have 498 of them. My Mum has one of the missing ones :D

Good luck!