Forum

Stolen cheque liability

Dcmtr

Dcmtr

Messages count : 20
Likes count : 0
Contact in PM
A regular client (a large organisation I have been working with for several years) sent me a payment by cheque in the post, which did not turn up on the expected date. I informed them immediately, and they chose to hang on rather than cancelling it straight away.

Now it turns out the funds have cleared their account, indicating the cheque has been stolen and fraudulently cashed by a third party. The client is now saying there is no prospect of my receiving the payment until it is investigated, which could take 8 weeks, and they have given no indication that they will definitely re-issue the payment once they have confirmed it is fraud (for all I know, they may only be intending to reissue it if the bank which cashed the cheque accepts liability and refunds the money).

Two questions:

1) Does merely sending out the cheque legally constitute paying me?

2) Assuming (hopefully) that the answer to the above question is no, am I entitled to kick up a fuss about the fact they are breaking the 30 day payment terms by not issuing a new cheque pending the potentially lengthy investigation?

Connecting tech talent

Free-Work THE platform for all IT professionals.

Its contents and its IT job board are 100% free of charge for contractors and freelancers.

Free-workers
Resources
About
Recruiters area
2024 © Free-Work / AGSI SAS
Follow us

FreelanceUK has moved to Free-Work

We would like to welcome you to Free-Work, an international platform dedicated to supporting IT freelancers and contractors with their professional journeys in the tech industry.

FreelanceUK news, guides and resources, including the forum, have now moved to Free-Work, where we will continue to report on everything from tax issues and market demand to freelancing tips and technology trends. You can also search the latest IT contracts and freelance tech job opportunities on our jobs page.

💡 Good to know: Your forum profile remains the same. To login, nothing could be simpler, all you need to do is use your email linked to your FreelanceUK account and your password.

Enjoy your visit!

The Free-Work team

FreelanceUK