Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Sign Up

TAX Advice - Freelancer working remotely from Italy for the UK

Discussion in 'Accounting and Legal' started by mcfarlanealex, Apr 3, 2015.

  1. mcfarlanealex

    mcfarlanealex New Member

    I am looking for some advice to help me with a move to Italy in July / August this year. Though as I understand I might be able to get away with not changing anything for 6 months as that is when I will become an 'official' resident.

    I am a remote freelancer currently in in the UK and I have been running my Limited (VAT registered) company in the UK for around 10 months. There is just myself at the company and I have everything running as I would like.

    Please find come notes / thoughts below of what I am trying to achieve:

    - I don't want to avoid TAX in either the UK or Italy, I feel strongly about paying my fair share in the countries I live in. Having said that I would not mind being less TAX efficient if it makes my live and my clients lives simpler. Though being TAX'ed twice would be a bit of an issue.

    • I have the setup I like now, I manage my UK company using freeagent.com and it is setup and very simple for me. I would like to retain this if possible.
    • I will work for clients mainly in remotely in the UK and invoice in GBP. Ideally I would like to invoice through my existing UK company in GBP. My clients are setup / contracts signed and it would be much simpler not to have to make them bill to an Italian company in EUR.
    • Ideally I would like to keep the UK company as this is just easier. My one idea was to keep this company and setup an Italian company who's only client is my UK company then I just invoice that company every quarter and then pay TAX on that amount in Italy?
    • Or someone said I might just be able to pay corporation TAX in the UK and personal TAX in Italy. Though I don't know, and it is important for me to be legal.
    • Again the above are just ideas, if I need to setup a sole Italian company then I will need to do that. If this is the case, can I still use freeagent.com to manage my invoices?

    If anyone could provide any help or advice on the above it would be greatly appreciated. Also if anyone knows any UK / Italian English speaking accountants would might be able to help that would be great also.
  2. Lupita

    Lupita Member

  3. Elizabeth 65B

    Elizabeth 65B New Member

    Dear FreelanceUK,

    I wondered if you could also give some advice on my situation which is a little similar to mcfarlanealex?

    My partner (who is italian) will be moving to Italy for work and I will also be accompanying him there. I work remotely and am currently registered as self employed in the UK (I am a UK citizen).

    Please could you kindly advise me on what I should do in regards to tax once in Italy? My client(s) are UK based, but I would be working remotely in Italy.

    Many thanks!
  4. Lupita

    Lupita Member

    Thanks for the query Elizabeth 65B; interesting times are upon you by the sounds of things!

    And sure, FreelanceUK arranged for an expert to answer your question -- I hope the following's helpful:


    Moore News Ltd - expert care for your editorial needs.
  5. Andrew Pickering

    Andrew Pickering New Member


    I have a question that is quite similar to the original one.

    I have recently moved to Italy, and I will shortly be changing my work contract to a freelance contract. From what I understand, using a Partita IVA will not be very economical for me - plenty of people have told that you need to earn close to 60,000 EUR per year before the Partita IVA becomes the best option.

    My question is, what other options are available as a tax status for freelancers living in Italy? My jobs will mainly be proofreading, sub-editing or writing sports articles or match reports, or commentating on sporting events. I'm fairly sure this can be classed as journalism (for tax purposes at least), and I understand there is slightly different tax regulations if you have a journalists' contract. At the moment I haven't been able to find any details of this.

    If Partita IVA is the best way then I'm happy to set it up, but I've been slightly put off by some horror stories I've been told!



Share This Page