Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Terms and Conditions

Discussion in 'Copywriting Forum' started by RhiRead, Jul 29, 2013.

1. RhiRead

RhiRead Guest

Hi there,

I am just starting out as a freelance proofreader and copyeditor and I was wondering what to do about my terms and conditions.

I can write them, and I have had inspiration from others, however I am unsure about one thing in particular.

Say, for instance, that I quote 3 hours for me to complete work that a client has sent to me. They have signed the contract and posted it back to me, and I have started work on it. If, nearing the end of my time limit, I haven't completed the work, is it legal for me to email/phone the client explaining that it will take longer, and so a bigger fee will be required? Will a reply on the email suffice?

The only reason I ask is because posting out a new contract will take ages, and by that time, the client's deadline may have passed.

How do I go about this?

Also, sorry for all the questions, if they would like to pay by cheque, is it mandatory that the cheque has to clear before we start the work? As I require a 10% deposit before commencing any task.

Thank you in advance.

2. Mark Lyons

Mark Lyons Member

You should read carefully all terms and conditions. You can tell the client through email and ask for a more time. Definitely he/she will give you more time to complete the project. Take it as a lesson of your life and read carefully any type of contract. As a freelancer you have to learn say "NO". If there is any problem with the terms you can say "NO" to the conditions.