Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Sign Up

UK Tax Residence While Living Abroad

Discussion in 'Accounting and Legal' started by Myra, Jun 22, 2022.

  1. Myra

    Myra New Member


    I have a question regarding where I need to pay tax if I am mostly living and freelancing abroad but also spending (and working for) enough time in the UK to meet the UK tax residence requirements.

    I am from UK but have lived in Romania for less than 2 years - and have begun freelancing from here. However, I plan to visit home to spend time with family (living in the family home) and also continue working while I'm there. I plan to go for at least 3 months, so over the 91 day period, but less than 183 days and within the UK tax year. I took an online test and I believe that these circumstances would allow me to qualify for UK tax residency.

    What I'm unclear on is the following: If I am UK tax-resident, does this mean that I am liable to UK tax only, and for the full UK tax year, even if I technically spend more days in Romania?

    I checked the DTA between the 2 countries, and it's difficult to understand exactly, but it seems to say that if there is a 'fixed abode' in either 'contracting state' that is regularly available for use then that is where the tax is liable. I am not sure if this would apply to my family home?

    The matter of different fiscal periods is also confusing - Romania's tax year is the same as the calendar year, whereas we know the UK tax year is from April to April. I assume that if I am classed as tax resident for the UK tax year, this means I am not liable to pay tax in Romania from April to April but I don't know if this assumption is correct.

    I know some questions may only be answerable by an accountant but thought it was worth asking here for those with experience.

    Any information would be hugely appreciated, thanks!
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
  2. Lupita

    Lupita Member

Share This Page