Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Sign Up

Wanting to freelance, but...

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by friday, Oct 28, 2007.

  1. friday

    friday New Member

    I've just come across this site and was hoping that somebody might be able to help me.

    I'm currently working as a graphic designer full time within an agency. At the moment I'm in the process of seting up as a sole trader so that I can do some freelance work during evenings & weekends.

    Doing all of this properly (registering company, NI, tax, setting up buisness bank account etc.) it's all fine. The only issue I have is:-

    Will the Inland Revenue contact my employeers to notify them of changes to my income/tax/NI? or will my employeers be able to see any changes when they do the payroll?

    As you can probably tell I'm not very keen for them to find out what I'm doing ! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  2. MSL Forza

    MSL Forza New Member

    Reply: Advice

    You should talk to an Umbrella company, they may be able to help you with advice etc.

    We're always there to help and we specialise in Freelance and Sole Traders.

    Hope your new company does well :)

    All the best.
  3. Greg@CapitalCity

    Greg@CapitalCity New Member

    Tax codes with the HMRC can be a bit hit and miss. If they do it correctly, your tax code with your employer will remain the same, and the tax code they issue to your new ltd company will be 'BR'.So ideally, your currently employer will not know.

    One option you could consider is not registering your company for PAYE (and if you already have, then just don't put yourself on the payroll). As you already have a full-time job and (I assume) earn more than £7,475 per year, then the tax advantages of paying a salary through your new ltd company will be very small anyway.
  4. If you are just working for yourself self-emplyoed (i.e not a Limited or Umbrella company) then I can't see a reason for them to contact your current employer.

    When you are employed you pay Class 1 NI Contributions, when you are a sole trader you pay Class 2 (sometimes also Class 4) Contributions, so this shouldn't have anything to do with your employer.

    Also the tax you would sort yourself via Self Assessment.
  5. rickypounting

    rickypounting New Member

    Well i am also looking forward in finding ways as how to how to go freelancing as well. I am an SEO person, well if any body is looking for getting his website ranked with in the search engine of Google or looking for traffic, just go for and ping me up....
  6. Lupita

    Lupita Member

  7. rickypounting

    rickypounting New Member

    No its Monday........ :mad:

Share This Page