Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Where does one go to find work

Discussion in 'Web Design Forum' started by Redgoblin, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Redgoblin

Redgoblin New Member

Hi,

I have a question...

Where does one go to pick up work doing web-design.

I'm aware of other web-sites which list designers and sites where you can bid for work. The problem I have for bidding sites is that most seem to be offering work to sort out little problems with existing web-sites, and most other work seems to be other designers who outsource work, due to specific and often than most unrealistic terms, and technical constraints.

I've always had work through people I know or other work colleagues who have suggested I contact a certain person who requires a web-site to be built.

Is there anywhere on the web where clients can meet people like me who can build a site from scratch without the fuss of being out bid by someone who is willing to build a site for 3 dollars an hour and is based somewhere else on the planet.

I've tried other bidding sites, and my terms are realistic, but still I just never seem to find work through those 'bidding' methods.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

2. FreelanceUK

FreelanceUK Administrator

Hi Redgoblin

Thanks for signing up to the forum.

There are a number of freelance directory sites where you could list your services & portfolio, and we have one of them here in the shape of Find a Freelancer - Freelance UK so do take a look at that. Not all are based on the bidding model.

Most freelancers will say it's a question of getting your name and what you do out in as many relevant places as possible, on and offline.

Definitely make sure you're getting all the you can from existing contacts however as you're a proven supplier. So where people have come to you to say 'this chap needs a website' perhaps get in touch with everyone familiar with your work to ask if they know of anyone needing your services as you're looking to expand your folio. Referral guru Vince Golder recommends offering something first as a thank you, before you ask to be recommended to contacts, whether that's half hour free service or something else. You're far more likely to pick up work where you've been endorsed in this way than through cold contact, but do make sure you thank those putting your name out.

Let us know how you get on, best of luck.

3. SurreyWeb

SurreyWeb New Member

Hi

Have never tried them but from what I hear, wouldn't waste your time on the bidding sites.

Whatever methods you finally adopt, also a good idea to stop trying to sell web design services and sell business solutions, assuming that is the field you are looking at.

On that thought, are you not getting any work from your own site?

4. storageclothing

storageclothing New Member

Hi Redgoblin you are right bidding sites didnt helped me also I have been doing bidding from last year but didnt get anything.

5. Student Web Design

Student Web Design New Member

Have you tried offering an incentive to past clients to recommend you to people? We offer all past clients 10% of any future work they generate, and we constantly get referrals because of it.

6. Vivoo

Vivoo New Member

I have earned tens of thousands of pounds off bidding sites and built business relationships with many freelances/web agency's through them that give me on-going work, don't knock them until you have tried them.

You do get a lot of people that expect something for nothing but they are simple to avoid - just don't bid on that project... a majority of bidding sites show what the project owners budget is and if you feel you can do what they require for the wage on offer then go for it.

7. c69

c69 New Member

get big !

No offence, but if you are competing with people who make sites for 3 dollars - then you are placing a 3 dollar price tag onto yourself as well.

If you want client to pay you 30, 300 or 3000 dollars - you need to have some competitive advantages over 3 dollar guys ;)

8. james.snv

james.snv New Member

message removed by Freelance UK

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2010