Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Where to now?

Discussion in 'Journalism Forum' started by barnacle, Feb 21, 2007.

1. barnacle

barnacle New Member

Hi all,

I'm hoping you can give me a bit of advice.

For the last four years I have been writing advertising features for a range of B2B magazines. I got the job after completing a short course and assessment and have subsequently written hundreds of features and had some nice trips to Spain too :)

I started as a part-time freelance and then, as the IT industry started getting crap, it became a full-time freelance commitment.

Recently, a number of titles have been dropped by the publisher and I'm struggling to make ends meet. I absolutely love the work and wondered if I could take it a stage further and look into writing for other magazines.

The trouble is, I'm not a journalist as such, and I don't have any formal qualifications. I've dabbled with copywriting but don't really enjoy it much - I prefer to inform rather than persuade.

If you were me, what would you do to get more work and build up a successful freelance practice with more than one client??? ;)

Many thanks in advance.

Mark

2. journoman

journoman New Member

If you've built up a good catalogue of work which it sounds very much as though you have, I wouldn't worry too much about the lack of formal qualifications. People are more interested in experience than qualifications in my experience.

How do you build things up? Hard work I'm afraid! Its a matter of talking to as many potential clients as you possibly can, delivering on time and on budget and building yourself up a decent rep

3. TabloidTerror

TabloidTerror New Member

If you are in the industry then use the contacts you have built up! What competitor titles are out there. Write a CV and send it off to them, letting them know you are always available for freelance work. Call them up in a few weeks and see if they got it and if they ever take on freelancers. If no-one admits to seeing it find out who deals with hiring in the company, speak to them and send CV direct.

Use search engines to find other publications and hassle them too.

Like journoman said, it is all leg work I am afreaid. Still - better to put effort in now rather than become a burger flipper when all the work dries up :D

4. barnacle

barnacle New Member

Thank you Journoman and TabloidTerror - good advice and well-received!

Barnacle