Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Why I became a Freelancer

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Lincon, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Lincon

Lincon New Member

Hello everyone,,
    I've read plenty of advice from people on Freelance forums that a couple of years experience at a design agency (or at a company as an in-house designer) is advised before going freelance. Though that is a valid point and excellent advice, what do you do when you have absolutely no commerical experience or you're not a graduate?

I have, in the past, spent hours and hours searching for Graphic Design jobs, all which require experienced designers who come from an agency, and even the junior/trainee designer jobs state that grads need only apply. I have neither agency experience or ever been to Uni - Everything I know and every pixel of talent/skills I have is self taught, and basically, due to being creative.

So what did I do? I went and did it by myself. Designed some "tester" websites to start off with to put in my 'folio, eventually someone 55printing believed in me and I designed his company's website, which led to being asked to design his client's website, then I was asked to design his client's client's website, and so on.

I worked hard to get where I am, including hours and hours of unpaid work. And yes, it does pay off, quite literally. My advice to aspiring designers would be to make the leap. All it takes is one client, the right client (who believes in you and recommends you to all his or her clients/associates) and it will pay off. I haven't looked back since and I don't mind one bit that I spent those early hours in the morning designing to fill my porfolio with talent.

Here endeth my kind of long intro :cool:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
  2. nshep

nshep New Member

Same here. I am completely self taught and have never been an employee. Today, I live comfortably, am completely independent, and can work from anywhere. It was hard work getting here but I'm quite happy with where I am. "Build a portfolio" is also my go-to advice for anyone wanting to do freelance. It's much easier getting a job when you have stuff to point to of which you can say "I made that".